I need help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Andrew225

A little bit of everything
Jun 26, 2007
Colorado
I've heard of Baking soda, i'll give it a shot.

Thanks for the pics! I'm afraid my fish look like...WEll, neither. If anything ,it seems to be Ammonia burns. I noticed some gasping today, which has helped me with that.
Ony my way back from school toda,y I'm going to pick up some stuff or it. Fingers crossed!

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
But don't add baking soda at this point! If there's ammonia, and you raise the pH with baking soda, your fish will probably respond by dropping dead.

Get a reading on the KH, ammonia and pH of tap and tank water FIRST so that you know what you're dealing with.

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
this is not a good time messing with your Ph. why don't you just do some water changes and see how it works for you. for everything else i would use Maracyn-two. my favorite, harmless for biobacteria too. during treatment, try to do water changes every day before dozing for that day. DO NOT use things like Melafix or Premafix at this time.

Andrew225

Jun 26, 2007
Colorado
Maracyn-two. Gotcha.

I'm afraid of all things I know, I'm least informed on medicines, so all of this is wicked helpful

Pixie_84

AC Members
Jan 15, 2009
Kentucky
this is not a good time messing with your Ph. why don't you just do some water changes and see how it works for you. for everything else i would use Maracyn-two. my favorite, harmless for biobacteria too. during treatment, try to do water changes every day before dozing for that day. DO NOT use things like Melafix or Premafix at this time.
I agree fully. You really don't want to mess with the PH levels. Do some water changes and if needed use the Maracyn-two like suggested here. Good luck and don't be too hard on yourself, you're trying to resolve it. :)

ksane

aka TwistedPenguin
Mar 1, 2008
Oklahoma, USA
I haven't finished reading the thread yet (I will). But I can tell you that's what happens with what they call "old tank syndrome" where the water hasn't been changed in awhile and you get a pH crash (which you did). They get those cloudy eyes and the white film on their bodies. My advice (take it or leave it) is to change about 10% of the water every day for a few days, then do 25% and then go back to 50% a week like most people do. I definitely would NOT use any meds, any salt, heat or anything. They just need clean water.
Ok...now I'll finish the thread :)

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Wow I never knew that the PH could drop from old tank syndrome. Hmmm guess I learned something new for today granted I learn alot everyday from here and from articles people post on here as well.

Andrew225

Jun 26, 2007
Colorado
Update:
I lost the majority of my small fish. (Corydoras Cat Fish, Rosy Barb, Silver tip tetra)...About eight in all.
The larger fish (Rainbow Cichlid, Gourami, African Jewel Cichlid, Angels, Eel, German Blue Ram) are eating and showing less signs of stress. Eel's entire body actually cleared up!
Did another fifty percent water change today. Can't test ammonia (No tests...Gah!) but Nitrites are coming up at a solid zero. PH is back to 7.

Added a full dose of Stress Coat as well, figured it couldn't hurt.

-Andrew

ksane

aka TwistedPenguin
Mar 1, 2008
Oklahoma, USA
I really don't think ammonia is your problem. Because the filters were running the whole time, the biological filtration would be taking care of the ammonia and nitrites. Your nitrates were surely sky-high and the tank water was so depleted of minerals it had no buffering capacity at all. That's why you got the pH crash. Let's all hope the others recover.
Moment of silence for the Cory Cats.......................... :-(
I adore Corys.

Andrew225

Jun 26, 2007
Colorado
As did I...

Update: Went to see a movie tonight. Was confidant in fish; all of them ate, water was looking good.
Applied two packets of Maracyn (-Not- 2...I had gotten the wrong product, apparently.)

Came back a few hours later. Just now checked the tank..

Cloudy water.
Eel is dead
Both angels dead
German blue ram dead
One african jewel dead
One Rainbow Cichlid dead.

I was feeling so hopeful...
All that's left is 3 africans, 3 arainbows, and 3 gourami. Not sure I expect the same come morning.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store