What Kind Of Plant Is This?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dsaavedra

wild fish keeper
Dec 27, 2008
At Petsmart today, i bought two little pots of this. They were just marked "Assorted Potted Plants". I think (I am hoping) they are some sort of Vallisneria. Val. americana or Val. gigantea maybe? anybody have an ID?

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
I was going to guess a crypt too...not sure what type though.

Dr. Awkward

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Texas
No, they're all different and I've noticed the leaves will look different under different growing conditions. I have some crypt wendtii "tropica" that all looked the same when I got it but now it's spread out over my tank. The stuff in the front of my tank under the stronger light looks way different than the stuff on the side of my tank in lower light. They don't even look like the same plant anymore.

dsaavedra

wild fish keeper
Dec 27, 2008
crap! i wanted vallisneria and i got crypts... hope it stays looking like this but only gets taller and spreads more...

Dr. Awkward

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Texas
Now I'm thinking retrospiralis over balansae. I had some of that but I managed to kill it. :(

Crypts are way more "sick" than vals. They take forever to get used to your tank but once they do they look really good.

dsaavedra

wild fish keeper
Dec 27, 2008
dang this is a bummer. i really like the way vallisneria grows and spreads. do crypts spread the same way? like will they form dense "jungles" like val does?

Dr. Awkward

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Texas
Yes, but it takes more like six months instead of six weeks, and they like to stay more in a cluster instead of branching out like vals.

I'm sure you can find some vals on here. People have them up for sale and trade all the time because they grow fast.

dsaavedra

wild fish keeper
Dec 27, 2008

i guess i'll try and trade these off for some vals instead

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store