Convicts & Angelfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Merkicus

AC Members
Jan 25, 2010
Are these fish compatible at all?

I got some Convicts from Petsmart that were smaller than my Angelfish and at first everything was fine but now the Angels are getting their fins ripped to shreds it seems.

I never see it happen other than a little nipping when they're eating blood worms but every morning the fins are tattered a little more.

One of them is so bad that he's in severe infection mode and going to die soon - the tail fin is nipped to nothing.

Is it possible it could be some sort of fin rot and not just the fin nipping? My Corys are showing a little bit of damage too but the convicts are fine - I had read that they would be easy tankmates because they're armored.

Merkicus

AC Members
Jan 25, 2010
****. I wish I hadn't gotten the convicts. I was told they weren't really that aggressive as long as they were around the same size.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Dont be too hard on yourself as I did the same thing in reverse by mistaking convicts for A. Cichlids which is really bad. The two convicts never made it back out of the tank mostly becasue it is so large they just refused to be rescued. But if you learned something from it then its not a total loss.

In you case just take them out and back to the LFS.

BadFishPa

AC Members
Sep 19, 2008
Convicts are nippy from what i have seen,and kinda aggressive with anything there in with..

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
I would never recommend keeping Convicts with much else beside their mate. Angels certainly don't fit the bill as tankmates. You didn't mention the size of your tank... would be able to help more with stocking if you list your specifics.

Merkicus

AC Members
Jan 25, 2010
It's a 55g - heavily planted. The largest convict is maybe 1.5 inches long - they're growing fast because of how voraciously they eat though.

My Angels are dropping like flies unfortunately - they're getting nipped and then once the fins are reduced the just go into "i'm dying soon phase" where they don't eat and hang near the bottom or whatever.

I've isolated my remaining 3 angels in a breeding net but it isn't that large - maybe about 2.5g in size. They're still eating a bit, it seems, but I'm not sure what to do with them because I don't know of any LFS that will take them back - I always get my fish at petsmart/petco.

How about my Corys, though? Even though I saw some nipped fins they seem to be fine because they're armored and frankly they don't give a crap about the bully convicts dashing around - they just do their grubbing as usual.

I also have a huge 1 - 1.5 foot pleco in there but he just does his own thing.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Yikes a 1-1.5 foot plec?

that guy will need a much larger tank.

your mix is not good.
please rethink the load (bio) on the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store