School Aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PallasAthena

AC Members
May 17, 2009
Good lord that's adorable! :) But if it's not something that will really be out and active much it probably wouldn't be a great choice for the kiddos.

PallasAthena

AC Members
May 17, 2009
As of this morning, the water is in and dechlorinated, the pump is running, and I'm waiting on her to pick up the ammonia to get going with the cycle.

:dance2:

RDTigger

Newest member of F.A.R.T.
Jul 4, 2009
Pawleys Island, SC
Good lord that's adorable! :) But if it's not something that will really be out and active much it probably wouldn't be a great choice for the kiddos.

I've had a colony for a few weeks now. they are pretty active during the day and are always doing something. Moving sand or shells and trying to attract females to the harem. The males will create their own cluster for the females.

My water has a pH of ~7.8 and stays pretty steady. Using an AC30 on a 10G and have a few shells per fish.

PallasAthena

AC Members
May 17, 2009
It looks like you need a sand substrate for these guys. They've got gravel going.

They are so incredibly adorable though.

GoldLenny

Senior Member? Do I get a 5% disc.?

RDTigger

Newest member of F.A.R.T.
Jul 4, 2009
Pawleys Island, SC
It looks like you need a sand substrate for these guys. They've got gravel going.

They are so incredibly adorable though.

Pool Filter Sand 50# for ~$6 from Home Depot, enough for 3-4 10G tanks. Goldlenny has a list of some good ideas as well if you want a more traditional stocking. I prefer fish with more "personality" to watch than the average tetra.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Get some endlers with ghost shrimp and snails. The kids would love the diversity between the species! I don't know if they would get along witht he shrimp or snails but African Dwarf Frogs would also be very cool. If you wanted to add a few plants, you could pick up a small protion of java moss, as the stuff grows like a weed!!! I'd gladly send you a free sample size of it!

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
My $0.00

-Guppies or Endlers ; I prefer Endlers if you can get them, they are a little smaller and IMHO more entertaining. You can usually mail order them cheaply from the classified section.

-scratch the apisto/blue ram. Too fussy, too big, + the above ^ fish will fill the tank pretty quickly anyhoo.

-ghost shrimp or red cherry shrimp. I prefer red cherries, they reproduce well and are a bit more interesting than ghosts...also more size and attitude compatible with gups or endlers.

-a brigs or two...maybe add a few MTS and ramshorns

-hard unsoftened water. Great for all the above.

-Plant-wise...jave moss, hornwort or najas grass at least in half of the tank for fry/shrimp.

If I REALLY had a choice I'd do the above in a 20 or 30 long with a few small corys.

I'm liking the shellies with sand idea too...

PallasAthena

AC Members
May 17, 2009
Oh, god. A parent just bought her a fish. It's a blue gourami. WTH do we do now? Fishy cycling freaks me out.

How does this affect stocking? Will this fish even survive in the tiny tank???

Scuse me while I freak the heck out.

ETA: Just to be sure how do we do the thing with the dead shrimp? A shrimp like you cook with? How long do you leave the thing in for? We can't find pure ammonia.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store