Ugh! I HATE ICH!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FallenAngel

AC Members
Sep 11, 2010
New Zealand
Real Name
Matt
My 25 gallon tanks been empty for weeks.
I have ICH in this tank. It is SERIOUSLY annoying me now!
I can't keep plants in the tank, the treatment will kill them.
I can't keep decorations in the tank, the treatment will stain them.
I really want my fish to just get the ICH gone!
The treatment started weeks ago and the kribensis and loaches are still scratching!
It's so annoying! I'm sick of it!
Is there anything I can do? I just want it gone as fast as a I can.. Water changes? Heavy water changes? Treatment overdose? Underdose? More Salt? Less Salt? I can't use too much salt, it will hurt my loaches..

** HELP!! :( **

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
Have you turned the heat up?

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
How much salt are you using(tsp per gallon)? When you do water changes, are you replacing the amount of salt removed? Like stated above , what is your temp at?

tolawdjk

AC Members
Sep 8, 2010
I just joined the Ich club over the weekend. Noticed a spot on one of the hatchets in my 46 gal community bf, and then saw some "scratching" by a couple others. Did a 25% water change (all I had on me until I can get to the lfs and refill on RO H2O).

I'm up to 2 tsp per gallon, and sitting right about 85 degrees F. I would like to bump it to 3 tsp per gallon, but I've got three swordtails that either have it pretty bad in the gills, or are not liking the salt. Didn't get to check this morning as I left for work before the lights came one.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
Swordtails won't mind the salt. Up it to the recommended level; the loaches may not like it but they'll like the ich even less.

EmilyMarie85

AC Members
Aug 16, 2010
Boise, ID
Real Name
Emily
I had ich in 1 of my tanks about 3-4 weeks ago. I treated with Ich attack, salt at 1 tbsp per 5 gallons and temp at 86 degrees. The other thing I did: when I did the water changes I vacuumed the gravel to get any of the eggs/free swimmers that were down there waiting to hatch and find hosts. I noticed a quick improvement when I started doing the water changes that way... Didn't lose any fish.

FallenAngel

AC Members
Sep 11, 2010
New Zealand
Real Name
Matt
Ok i havent lost any fish yet, but one of my loaches look really skinny and is alot more lethargic than he was before.
Temp is at 81F degrees, thats the highest my 100w Heater will take it.
I don't know the salinity, but I tried to do it on Sunday and I overdosed because I was so tired so I just did a few water changes.
I put an airstone in to give the water more oxygen.
I have Wunder's White Spot Cure, i'm not good with chemicals but on the bottle it says:
Active ingredients: 0.2% malachite green, 0.025% acriflavine, 0.02% quinine, in aqueos solution.

What should I do now? Big water change to get rid of all the salt then start over?
Dose with the White Spot Cure? Add More Salt?

EmilyMarie85

AC Members
Aug 16, 2010
Boise, ID
Real Name
Emily
IMHO - you really need to get another heater and get that temp up - 85 at the least. Turning the heat up speeds up the life cycle of ich, making the window for treatment more frequent. The longer it takes to treat - the more stress it is going to cause your fish, and the longer the ich is on the fish - the more it will break down their immune systems. Also keep in mind, the malachite green is going to be harder on your loaches than the salt treatment.

I can't speak to the Wunder's White Spot Cure - I have never used it.

As far as salt goes - I would do another water change, 25% or so (vacuum that gravel) and dose 1 tbsp salt per 5g. It is important to dissolve the salt in tank water in a separate container before adding it to your tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store