My purpose in life is to grow Marimo Balls.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
it will eventually either divide itself or sprout a small baby inbeded in it's side that will eventually get big. like i said they grow really slow though

Rotring600

AC Members
Apr 17, 2009
It would appear that the Marino Ball is not only beautiful, but versitile too. Thank you for your ideas.

customdrum

GOT PLANTS?
May 2, 2008
south carolina
marimo balls are not really grown,they are wild collected and sold.
they may grow in your tank but the growth is about 1-2cm a year, said to get soccerball size in nature or 10" max size. when they get big they are hollow inside, i have had some about 4" wide max but there are some huge ones out there i have seen for sale.

i rip mine apart and use them like carpet in shrimp tank

Marimo Balls were first discovered in Lake Akan almost 100 years ago by Tetsuya Kawakami. In 1921 they were declared a "Japanese Natural Treasure" and the public's interest in Marimo was stirred. Marimo began being sold in jars to tourist who paid high prices to have their very own Natural Treasure

Sarr

Je pense donc je suis
Jun 9, 2007
Iowa
I'm considering making a carpet out of some of those. Does it flatten out easily? Is there any disadvantage in taking it out of its ball form? Do they need to be anchored? How do they respond to Flourish/Excel?

They seem like they would look really nice if they were spread out.

A. Crispus

AC Members
Jun 20, 2009
Propagating tribbles was something I'd made up my mind to do a while ago because I had an idea for a tank design I wanted to put together centered on these moss marvles and even littler ones are very expensive.

I have a few living/being stored in my 5 gallon.

Last night I was out with my fiance, who has also decided to become tribble happy, but doesn't want to spend an arm and a leg doing it. I had him buy two large ones because they start to hollow out the bigger they get_ and one large one that had been ripped open and dammaged to be my experimental moss ball.

I continued to break it down to 5 smaller pieces. I gathered and meatball rolled those pieces to start to mat them into tight little bundles which did not explode open when dropped back in water.

I will put them into my little quarantine tank which I've begun to think of as my nursery for mosses and liverworts. They'll get Plenty of light & warm water, a drip feed of CO2, and because it is also a 5 gallon, I'll have no trouble pulling them out regularly to re-meatball roll them to continue matting them into jr. tribbles.

My theory is that in time, hopefully not a very very long time, that they will look good enough to have been bought from my local moss ball supplier. THEN I will start my Tribble Tank & tell my fiance to go ahead and break up the 2 he bought if he still wants to and the moss ball army will continue to multiply.

Good luck with your own efforts. :)

tolawdjk

AC Members
Sep 8, 2010
You can find them fairly easily at PetSmart, at least the ones that I have been to in the CO area.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store