What type of cichlid is this?! :o I JUST got him, and am clueless!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sunburnt

AC Members
Mar 21, 2011
Wilmington NC (28401)
Real Name
Taylor
Just recently got into cichlids, and came across a local breeder who had this guy he traded for in one of his back tanks, I fell in love with the colors and had to get him!

Sorry for the horrid quality pics, but they are screenshots of a video im uploading to youtube now!

Please post pictures of the 'type' or any helpful info you can spare! :D

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
jack dempsey. hope you have a big tank or plans to get a big tank soon!

Sunburnt

AC Members
Mar 21, 2011
Wilmington NC (28401)
Real Name
Taylor
Ohhh! Haha, is that even a type of cichlid? Im completely new to keeping them. Ive only ever kept angels and guppies (though im aware angels are a type of cichlid.)

I just searched on google for like 2 seconds and found exactly what he looks like!

http://e0.aqua-fish.net/imgs/fish/jack-dempsey-cichlid-2.jpg

Thanks for the help.
Anything I should know about jack dempseys?

The breeder told me he was a cichlid, and kept him with his african cichlids, so any info is helpful.

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
yep. dempsey's are actually quite common. they are a central american cichlid. can be aggressive. get to about 10 inches or so full size, so a tank that is at least 4 feet long and 12 to 16 inches wide is the recommended minimum (IMO). not sure how he'll get along with your african there, keep an eye on them!

Sunburnt

AC Members
Mar 21, 2011
Wilmington NC (28401)
Real Name
Taylor
yep. dempsey's are actually quite common. they are a central american cichlid. can be aggressive. get to about 10 inches or so full size, so a tank that is at least 4 feet long and 12 to 16 inches wide is the recommended minimum (IMO). not sure how he'll get along with your african there, keep an eye on them!

Thanks so much! :)
At least I know his info now! xD

His colors are amazing, im tempted to look for more! Im not too happy with my africans colors, (which is the whole reason I got into cichlids, for the color!)

Maybe ill try to trade my Africans for more of his sort.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
He would need at least a 55 gallon to himself and more for tankmates, and african and south american cichlids shouldnt be mixed

Sunburnt

AC Members
Mar 21, 2011
Wilmington NC (28401)
Real Name
Taylor
He would need at least a 55 gallon to himself and more for tankmates, and african and south american cichlids shouldnt be mixed

Wish I would have been told this from the person I bought all the fish from.
I have a 55 long with over 10 african cichlids, and then him in it.

I have more then half the tank covered in broken slates in a planted tank for hideouts (I was told they needed this)

PLEASE, Keep the info coming! Haha, this is all news to me, perhaps ill need to re think this whole cichlid thing.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
What africans do you currently have?

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
housing central and south american cichlids with african cichlids 'can' be done, but it is not recommended. all depends on the individual fishes personalities. i personally would keep the JD and rehome the africans, but that's because i enjoy the big guys more than the africans.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store