Bio media for fliter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

smokey2957

AC Members
Jul 21, 2009
Burlington, Washington
So I ordered a CF-300 canister fliter from TruAqua and it will be here Wed. I have read that a lot of people use pot scrubbers for the bio media. I could not find pot scrubbers unless they mean the green scrubby pads, I thought that foam hair curlers would work what do you guys think. Any advice would be welcome.

Thank You

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I've used lava rock, always been cheap and effective for me. I think the foam would get gunked up too quickly if you are talking about what I am picturing in my head.

smokey2957

AC Members
Jul 21, 2009
Burlington, Washington
Yea that is what I was thinking everybody used. Checked the dollar store and Wal-Mart nothing the only thing that is close to those are some small shower ones, would they work.?

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Hi
A very effective medium is drinking straws Have almost 3 times the suface area of scrubbies ,can't clog, easily washed
and cost a buck for 200. You can cut them to whatever lengths you need . have used them on both aquaria and outdoor ponds. gary

Aquasteel

AC Members
Feb 7, 2012
Cork, Ireland
Real Name
Caitlin
Hi
A very effective medium is drinking straws Have almost 3 times the suface area of scrubbies ,can't clog, easily washed
and cost a buck for 200. You can cut them to whatever lengths you need . have used them on both aquaria and outdoor ponds. gary

This is a good tip :) same with the plastic pot scrubbers. Im going to try these in future.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aaronb

Registered Member
Feb 13, 2012
I just bought a CF-400UV. I'm going to use substrat pro in it. I'm not sure how much you wanted to spend, because you would have more money in media than in the filter. Pot scrubbers and lava rock aren't that high in surface area, so I'd always recommend some type of ceramic media meant for canisters.

smokey2957

AC Members
Jul 21, 2009
Burlington, Washington
Thanks everybody for the help. I am just going to use the shower puffs for now. I just saw this on a website biOrb and biUbe ceramic media that I will order later on 900g is 10.99. Might check to see what they have instore as I do not live to far from one. Was just there and bought two drawf gourami never even thought to look for media maybe tomm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store