Aren't rams benthic?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I was under the impression that rams stayed close to the bottom of the tank. I was also given the impression that they're kind of shy eaters and such. My rams are all over my tank, top to bottom, side to side, and they're.... assertive eaters. When they want some of the food, they'll make sure they get some. Does that mean there's something wrong, or is it just one of those things with cichlids that you may just get fish with different personalities? They were even bracketing my hand as I was trying to net some shrimp (19, including 5 berried ones) out of the tank. They seemed curious and unafraid, even when I mocked attempted to net one, just to give myself room to not risk smacking one with the net. The male moved just fast enough to not get caught by the net, almost as if he was daring me to catch him.

FWIW, I haven't measured parameters since Sunday, but then they were ammonia/nitrite/nitrate at 0/0/10-20 and are historically 0/0/40-80 (I have a hard time telling the color difference on the 20, 40, and 80 ranges, so I assume the worst) prior to my Saturday water change. PH has dropped from the 8.0 range when I first set up the tank to 7.4, I guess due to the driftwood. 55 gallon tank, 80 degrees (though it felt cooler to the touch, the heater and 2 different thermometers were all sitting at 80), lots of tank mates. They're listed in my profile, and I'm pretty sure the tank set up section used to be added to my posts in the past, but I haven't figured out how to get to appear there now. I have a BN, 16 cardinal tetras, 2 neon tetras, 5 glow light tetras, 4 orange von rio tetras, 12 espei rasboras, 15 rummy nose tetras, 7 nerites, a few dozen RCS, at least 4 pond snails, and at least 10 MTS.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Personality and tankmates I think can play a big role in it, mine stays bottom to mid most of the time occasionally coming towards the top to get sinking frozen food, never seen'em at the surface though. My male will sit at the front of the glass and watch me but takes off to hide if i move towards the tank to quickly for his taste. Being the biggest fish in the tank probably makes them less timid, will see if that changes at all as my angels grow, only quarter sized right now.

Drop in ph with driftwoods pretty normal I went down .6 or so as well when I first added mopani. API test kit? Some of the other brands are easier to read more expensive though.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I keep both ramirezi and altispinosa
they are typical cichlids of SA variety

they are not shy and will take food from much larger tank mates.. I keep them with angels and discus.

the blue rams will take flake the bolivians prefer pellets. but they will go to the surface..more typical of blue(ramirezi)

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
So far, my EBR roam the entire tank, except for the top 2 inches or so of water, and happily eat flake, pellet, or bloodworms. I guess I got a good pair. Now, if only my angel would eat half as well....

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
My group of Bolivian's Stay mostly at the bottom pretty much they stay with my 8 Juvenile Altifrons to form a large school none of them are going into the water column right now..

I think it boils down to personality and behavior with these guys..

spudboy

AC Members
Jun 2, 2011
Riverside CA
My Bolivians stay in the bottom third almost exclusively. Though they are not aggressive, they are definitely not shy. They will swim around and up to any of their tankmates, including the angels. They don't fight off the other fish to get to their meals but they don't starve. These have been one of the coolest additions to my tank in a while. Love to watch them. And I know...I have to clean my glass...

_DSC0738.JPG _DSC0750.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store