New setup need help apistos rams advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aqua nut

AC Members
Feb 1, 2016
Hello everyone,
I got a new tank for my bday! Setup- 45 gal all in one rimless
Substrate power sand, ada amazonia w additives
Lighting kessil a160we on a controller
Paintball c02 setup w timer
Amazonian/jungle style layout

I have been doing reefs for years but this planted tank is tuff co2 driving my ph down to 6, so no cycle I'm pulling my hair out. I read if your ph is 6.4 is below no bacteria growth.
If anyone cares for rams or apistos w a ph below 6.5 can you share your routine?
I do not have any rams or apistos yet... I will balance the environment first.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Plant heavily to start. Your co2 is driving down ph during on period. You can do a fishy cycle with enough plants and light stocking. Keep an eye on ammonia and do partial water change if it starts to creep above .5 ppm. Plants should prevent that from happening. Do a 50% weekly partial regardless to reset the tank if dosing ferts. Don't sweat the cycle if you have a large enough plant mass. This is advocated by Tom Barr (aka plantbrain) and is commonly referred to as silent cycle.

Mark

Last edited:
Reactions: Aqua nut

Aqua nut

AC Members
Feb 1, 2016
Plant heavily to start. Your co2 is driving down ph during on period. You can do a fishy cycle with enough plants and light stocking. Keep an eye on ammonia and do partial water change if it starts to creep above .5 ppm. Plants should prevent that from happening. Do a 50% weekly partial regardless to reset the tank if dosing ferts. Don't sweat the cycle if you have a large enough plant mass. This is advocated by Tom Barr (aka plantbrain) and is commonly referred to as silent cycle.

Mark
Got some pics up1454385727192-1816589000.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
They look like all slow growers to me...but I don't know co2 & your lighting. Many apistos & rams are adjustable as to pH etc, especially if they are locally bred...silent cycle is good ...IF you have enough plant mass to offset ammonia & nitrite...yours look a bit lacking, IMO. Can you add some fast growing plants, stems, watersprite etc?

Aqua nut

AC Members
Feb 1, 2016
They look like all slow growers to me...but I don't know co2 & your lighting. Many apistos & rams are adjustable as to pH etc, especially if they are locally bred...silent cycle is good ...IF you have enough plant mass to offset ammonia & nitrite...yours look a bit lacking, IMO. Can you add some fast growing plants, stems, watersprite etc?
Could I wait for them to grow in? No stems I could pick up Rotala or ludwigia. .. I have frogbit and water lettuce on the way. But I know those aren't stem plants. If I waited 6 months for everything to fill in would that work

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
You can wait, & floaters will help...just don't be in too much of a hurry to add the cichlids of either species. Get your tank stable, that's most important.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I agree...need more plants. Stems like red temple and rotala have quick uptakes and will grow fast with good light, co2 and ferts. I'd at least double the plant mass for silent cycling. You can always thin later.

Mark

Aqua nut

AC Members
Feb 1, 2016
I agree...need more plants. Stems like red temple and rotala have quick uptakes and will grow fast with good light, co2 and ferts. I'd at least double the plant mass for silent cycling. You can always thin later.

Mark
I have a idea... I think I'm going to buy a golden pothos plant and stick it in the filter section of the tank. I really don't have any room in the substrate section of the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store