add more fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Erynn

Ahhh weekends
Dec 4, 2002
Stoney Creek
I have a 5 gallon Eclipse hex, it's been running for over a year. The betta I had in it just died...so I just bought another betta today, as well as a tiny gold pleco. If the pleco gets too big, I'll put him in my 55 gallon. Can I add any other fish to this tank? I don't want anything that will bite the bettas fins. I have other tanks, but they are all bigger...and this 5 gallon has only ever had a betta in it...this is why I'm looking for suggestions! Thanks!

budrecki

Trust me, it's for your own good.
Dec 17, 2005
Orlando,FL
DO NOT put a pleco in a 5g! Ever! Even for a short time. If you want to keep the pleco, put it in your 55g immediately.

As for adding other fish in with the Betta in a 5g, no. Sorry. Just to small a space for more than 1. Add 1 snail or a few shrimp, but that's it.

Erynn

Ahhh weekends
Dec 4, 2002
Stoney Creek
Yikes, ok, I put the pleco in the 55 gallon. I thought about adding a couple of shrimp to the 5 gallon, I was just inquiring about other fish...all I have ever kept in that tank is 1 betta.

budrecki

Trust me, it's for your own good.
Dec 17, 2005
Orlando,FL
The only fish other than a betta that I would put in 5g hex would be guppies.

There is not enough room for and other species of fish to swim, IMO.

Erynn

Ahhh weekends
Dec 4, 2002
Stoney Creek
I agree, but I just asked to get other peoples opinions....in case I was being too careful by only having 1 fish in the tank.

aaron6175

Wandering Member
Apr 22, 2006
Florida
yea 5g is kinda small for anything but maybe a couple of guppies but then I love overstocking my tank(mainly with rescued fish from other dorm students)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store