Added smaller clownfish to tank with existing clownfish.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Well I went along and did it. I acclimated the fish for around 35 mns or so. The clown that I already had is about 2 inches and pretty tall, and the new one that I put in is around 1.5 inches, or maybe a tiny bit smaller. So, I put the clown in the tank finally. The chasing starts and the bigger clownfish, right as it came from the bag, took hold of the other clowns "tail" and let go after a second about, just a bit of a scratched fin. For about 20 minutes the bigger one chased the smaller one around, but didn't seem to actually "touch" the smaller clown, just mostly chased it. Now it's been almost 30 mns, and it seems it is already much better. Now, there isn't much chasing going along, but the clownfish do this weird dance every so often, where there next to each other, and sort of twitch. So far, everything seems to be going alright. What do you guys think?

Thanks!!!

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
One is submitting to the other.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
One is submitting to the other.
does that mean most likely that one is male and one will become a female, or can they both just as well be females?

Thanks!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
now the lights are off and they are about to sleep or already sleeping. the fish are "sleeping" very close together, is that a good thing? Only every sometime the bigger one will push the smaller on away, and then continue sleeping around. Is this a good sign often?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
does that mean most likely that one is male and one will become a female, or can they both just as well be females?

Thanks!
Actually, the smaller individual is likely neuter at this point--the larger may not even be female yet, either. It is odd in that some remain males (even when alone) until a lesser individual is added. This isn't always the case, since others become females after a period of a little over a month. Everything you describe sounds good and you should have a genuine pair in time :).

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
well, I have an update. The smaller clown has been in the tank for 1 day now, and things are looking great. I watched them at night with my moon lights, and they slept very close to each other, at the surface of the water. The farthest apart that I saw them get from each other at night was probably not more than 5 inches or so. Now, the clowns are just chilling, swimming pretty near each other, and at times, very near each other, and are not bothering one another at all. So far, so good!!

Thanks!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
another update. the second clown has been in the tank for 2 full days now, and everything is going great! There is no more bullying what so ever, and the two clownfish sleep together at night. I hope they are pairing up!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store