Dual Tank System Build Thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bigwave

AC Members
Jan 23, 2008
Wow, I am subscribing, this looks like quite the build.

I don't have a lot to add, other than I am setting up a dual tank (freshwater) system myself in the next couple months, and I can't wait watch you and get tips. mine are going to be one above, and one below with a sump in the room behind.

The one thing I was wondering, is why mess with the overflows? Just drill the tank, and stick a pipe or 2 through with screens on them. They could be right at the water level, or come from the bottom up to where you want the water level to be at.

Also it looks like there are some open spaces over the arches downstairs. Could you run your plumbing through that? Run the drain pipe from the rear of each tank, behind that floor beam, and into that pocket over the arch? It's hard to know exactly how thing are lined up not seeing it in person, but it sounds good!!! :)

I hope it goes well, and I'll be watching with keen anticipation!

lanimret

AC Members
Apr 1, 2008
Wow, I am subscribing, this looks like quite the build.

I don't have a lot to add, other than I am setting up a dual tank (freshwater) system myself in the next couple months, and I can't wait watch you and get tips. mine are going to be one above, and one below with a sump in the room behind.

The one thing I was wondering, is why mess with the overflows? Just drill the tank, and stick a pipe or 2 through with screens on them. They could be right at the water level, or come from the bottom up to where you want the water level to be at.

Also it looks like there are some open spaces over the arches downstairs. Could you run your plumbing through that? Run the drain pipe from the rear of each tank, behind that floor beam, and into that pocket over the arch? It's hard to know exactly how thing are lined up not seeing it in person, but it sounds good!!! :)

I hope it goes well, and I'll be watching with keen anticipation!
Thanks!

Ya it is going to be a project, and I'm hoping this thread helps me stay focused and on task. My first major portion is getting the tanks fairly cheap. I've got a guy who's looking to sell me two tanks that will be perfect, but he's out of town for a few weeks. Unless I can find another option sooner, I'm just going to be preparing what I can until then. I won't start any deconstruction until I have the tanks in hand, the wife would kill me.

As far as the archways, thats what I'm hoping ya. We'll see as I deconstruct, I'm sure I'll figure something out.

And yes, I am seriously considering ditching the overflow at this point. I'm considering adapting something similar to what you mentioned, but with a few modifications. I'll probably work on that some over the next few days and post for feedback.

I need to keep things as DIY as possible where I can or use what I already have. Budget is a major concern here, but I'm pretty confident it won't be an issue.

Zaffy

Why would ******* be censored?
Jul 21, 2008
Canyon Country, Ca.
Hey Lani, Just checking in.

I think I still have those diagrams on my desk here somewhere.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
this is a big ol book with complicated skechtes.. why im up at 5am trying to comprehend this drunk is beyond me but i can honestly say that i hope you do this and im gonna be watching :)

lanimret

AC Members
Apr 1, 2008
Also it looks like there are some open spaces over the arches downstairs. Could you run your plumbing through that? Run the drain pipe from the rear of each tank, behind that floor beam, and into that pocket over the arch?
I did some measurements today and it looks like bigwave is totally correct. The archways below line up perfectly with the floor above. This is awesome news because it means the plumbing will be much easier and no longer an issue. I have some decent shots of the area and it looks like it will be clear sailing straight across.

So my most worrisome problem is solved. Great news.

Thanks for the suggestion!

lanimret

AC Members
Apr 1, 2008
While working on my plumbing plan I started looking for some sort of screen to use on a standpipe style overflow drain. One thing I would really like to accomplish with this build is a better ability to keep more fragile animals like sea slugs. I've tried in the past and never have been able to correctly protect them. I was thinking of using a 2" pipe for the drain as Ace suggested and having it split into two 1.5" drains once it enters the tank (giving me as much surface area as possible for drainage) and using something like:

http://www.marinedepot.com/Suction_Screen_1_1_2_inch_Slip_x_3.5_inch_Long_Slip_Fitting_Strainers-Spears-FT8611-FIFTSTSP-FT8631-vi.html

Does that seem like a workable solution? Any better suggestions?

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
The plan sounds fine, but stay away from that strainer you linked to. I have 2 of those myself sitting in my "extra parts I will never use again" bin. They don't fit anything normal, ie. normal sizes of PVC. I found this one out the hard way. Just get the black tapered ones they sell at MD, they work much better IMO.. well.. they fit, which is the key. It is frustrating trying to make a part that is just a tad too big or small fit on something you want it to when a $2 part will save a lot of headaches.

BTW, for drilling holes in acrylic, this is really all you need. And for returns, these bulkhead/adjustable jets are pretty nice.

http://www.customaquatic.com/estore/control/subctg/~ctg=s_pf-tj-t2/~pctg=s_pf

bigwave

AC Members
Jan 23, 2008
I did some measurements today and it looks like bigwave is totally correct. The archways below line up perfectly with the floor above. This is awesome news because it means the plumbing will be much easier and no longer an issue. I have some decent shots of the area and it looks like it will be clear sailing straight across.

So my most worrisome problem is solved. Great news.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Cool. I am glad that is going to work out. Hopefully the rest of the project goes just a well.

lanimret

AC Members
Apr 1, 2008
First draft of the primary plumbing diagram I am considering.

Standpipe 'overflows' drilled through the bottom of the tank (with some kind of screen on top).

Drain pipes are 2" from the equipment cabinet through the bottom of the tanks. At that point they will split off into two 1.5" pipes to create additional drainage surface area and minimize clogging. I'm considering combining these at the junction point into one larger pipe, but I am concerned with putting a large junction under the flooring, makes repair's easier.

Return pumps feed into two seperate 3/4" PVC pipes which feed into a Y which combines them into one 1" feed. Each 3/4" feed passes through either a check valve or manual valve (or both) prior to entering the Y. This way if one pump breaks I can shut down that pipe and run both tanks off one pump until the other is replaced (or during maintenance).

Every pipe has a manual valve before entering the flooring. My goal is to minimize the amount of junctions or couplings underneath the flooring in order to rule out leaks. I am still debating how I will plump the tanks themselves, considering a few options there with multiple return points placed in various locations to improve flow and minimize the need for power heads in place that are not aesthetically pleasing.

I know, more schematics... I am a very organized planner ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store