tclipse's dart frogs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Outstanding! Thanks for sharing.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Thanks, yeah he has escaped twice himself, they are definitely one of the harder animals to catch once they're out, no question there... both times it took at least 2 days to catch him. I have some eggs from my current pair, if you have some trouble finding one down the line I'd be willing to swap with you when they grow up so you have some fresh blood... sorry to hear about that.

They are little escape artist and seem to love to dart out when you're not looking. At least my male always tired. I'd definitely be interested in swapping some gecko bloodlines in the future so keep me updated!

gtclipse01

likes robes.. a lot.
Jul 14, 2009
Centreville, VA
Real Name
Teddy McGrath
So many tiny frogs! How do you feed them all? You must have a tank full of Drosophila. It's hard to pick a favorite amoung the frogs and geckos, they're all so pretty!
The flies are cultured in 32oz deli cups, I make 3 cultures every 10 days or so which seems to be plenty for my collection.... way easier than going out to the store or culturing crix, only takes about 5 minutes to make them.

gtclipse01

likes robes.. a lot.
Jul 14, 2009
Centreville, VA
Real Name
Teddy McGrath
Update time, a few pics-

Solarte

Tarapoto imitator (proven 1.1)

Pumilio "El Dorado"

"What the hell man, why are you feeding them first????"

nomnomnomnomnom

frog updates-
orange lamasi, rio saladillo anthonyi, CV imi, tarapoto imis all proven now (as well as the azureus, intermedius, iquitos vents from before)
picked up a large group of benedicta tads

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
I can't even begin to tell you how impressed I am by your set ups. That first pic is freaking amazing! How large of a space do you need to keep these little dudes? I have 2 small exo-terra upright terrariums, would one of those be big enough?

gtclipse01

likes robes.. a lot.
Jul 14, 2009
Centreville, VA
Real Name
Teddy McGrath
Thanks! If it is the 12x12x18 size (not the 12x12x12), you could get away with a pair of thumbnails (R. imitator, R. variabilis, R. amazonica, R. vanzolinii, or similarly sized) pretty easily.. A couple of my imitator and amazonica pairs are breeding & doing very well in that size. Terrestrials (D. tinctorius, leucomelas, auratus etc) would need something with more groundspace

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Thanks! If it is the 12x12x18 size (not the 12x12x12), you could get away with a pair of thumbnails (R. imitator, R. variabilis, R. amazonica, R. vanzolinii, or similarly sized) pretty easily.. A couple of my imitator and amazonica pairs are breeding & doing very well in that size. Terrestrials (D. tinctorius, leucomelas, auratus etc) would need something with more groundspace
Cool... it is the 18" one. I'll have to start doing some research on the species you mentioned. Any basic tips for a total newb?

gtclipse01

likes robes.. a lot.
Jul 14, 2009
Centreville, VA
Real Name
Teddy McGrath
Cool... it is the 18" one. I'll have to start doing some research on the species you mentioned. Any basic tips for a total newb?
-try your hand at fly culturing before you get your frogs... it'll avoid a culture crash at a bad time. They aren't difficult at all once you get it right, but some people manage to crash their cultures when first getting started.

-clay backgrounds (Redart, not the kitty litter kind) are the cheapest/easiest method IMO, as well as having calcium benefits for the frogs.

-use a false bottom or hydroton as a drainage layer or the substrate will be soggy

-springtails and dwarf white isopods are a great supplemental feeder (they will establish in the viv and breed self-sufficiently, and are great foods for newborn froglets born in the viv who may be too small for melanogaster flies)

-supplements, supplements, supplements..... USE THEM and get new ones after 6 months of being open, if you don't use them you will have nutritional issues. Repashy Calcium Plus is an all-in-one that works really well and is really cheap.

-never let internal tank temperatures go over 80 degrees.... 70's ideal, drops to 60's at night are no problem

That's basically dart frog care in a nutshell. All of those vivs take less time as a whole than my two reef tanks, by far... it's really easy and maintenance is a breeze, the main cash & time expenditures are on the initial stuff, once it's going it's a piece of cake and maintenance costs are very low. Plus, no water changes! :D

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Awesome. Thanks again!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store