My plecos have laid eggs and I have questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JMcGee13

Registered Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi,
Some background info: I've had a 55-gal or so freshwater tank for many years - it contains a few rainbow fish, several small loaches (not sure which type), one Rainbow Shark, and two Albino Sailfin Plecos (I think that is what they are, from comparing to pictures. They are definitely a smaller species than the common pleco, about 3-4 inches long.) I never knew or was concerned whether I had a male/female pair. Last month we had our aquarium replaced due to wear and other issues, and the fish all survived the move - the new setup included sand instead of gravel, and rocks that have lots of pleco-sized holes and crannies.
Well, for the last few days I had noticed that one pleco had selected a "cave" (a small hole in one of the rocks) and started hanging out in it; then about 2 or 3 days ago we saw them both in there doing the "dance" but I still wasn't sure, until this morning. We have eggs, and both plecos are taking turns guarding the "cave".
So, I am not sure what to expect next. Is there anything I can do to make the situation more probable that any of the fry will live? I am not really in a position to move any of the other fish out, as I only have the one tank, but I'd like to at least know what to expect. Does the male try to eat the eggs after they hatch, or does he continue to guard the fry? I assume I should look for plankton or something to infuse into the water for them to eat, if any survive? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I have had freshwater tropicals for many years, but have never tried to breed egg-layers before and was not expecting this "happy accident". Thank you!!!

The attachment is a picture of the egg cave with one of the plecos in it (I believe this one is the male, based on my reading - this is the one who has been spending the most time in the cave prior to today)

NimrodWithEggs.JPG

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
The male is usually a good father and protect the eggs and babies. The babies can eat zuccini after free swimming. Cut a slice and weigh it down. Remove left over in morning and repeat next night.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
The plecos you have are albino bristlenose plecos or ABN for short. They are prolific breeders and fairly easy to raise. Like Tanker said you can feed them sliced zucchini, cucumber, or sweet potatoes that you sink to the bottom. The biggest worry you will have is the loaches or rainbows eating the fry.

Andy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store