Semi-New Aquarist: SunSun Nightmares and Dying Tiger Barbs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wake

Registered Member
May 7, 2015
Good evening all.

I've been running fishtanks for about a month now. Started with a 10-gallon, then a 30-gallon, and have settled on a 55-gallon freshwater tank.

1) I used an established 30-60 gallon Whisper filter on my 55-gallon tank.

2) My ammonia and nitrite levels are at 0.

3) Also own a SunSun HW-302 canister filter, and have been using it for over three weeks.

4) I had 9 tiger barbs. They kept dying and then stopped. Once I put the SunSun into the 55-gallon tank, four more died in two days. Also owned 4 green emerald cory catfish, and one went belly up.

5) Did an emergency water check. NitrAte was at 40 ppm. I'm thinking 'Holy , how did this skyrocket so quickly?'

6) I have been doing 40% water changes every week. Just now I did a 70% water change: testing the NitrAte level and it HAS been going down.

7) The SunSun canister filter from China has filter media. White and blue filters, bioballs, charcoal pellets, and these porcelain tube things. I don't know in what order this stuff should be placed in the three racks.

8) When I set up the SunSun filter onto the 55-gallon tank, I then plugged it in and it started running. All of this nasty-looking filmy came pouring out of the branch tube and into the water. Then my fish started dying. Where did I go wrong and what should I do?

9) I'm assuming since my ammonia and nitrite are at 0ppm, and my NitrAte was at 40ppm, that my tank is currently filtered.

10) My fish had been dying at an alarming rate, and now I'm watching to see if any more die. I am sick and tired of my tiger barbs dying and some people saying they're very hardy. BS! I just watched two sputter, flounder, and die right before my eyes.

11) I have about 14 different plants. Turns out some of their roots/stems are rotting. I keep hearing stuff about C02 injections. I only use aquarium sand from Petco.

12) Right now I have 5 tiger barbs, 3 green emerald catfish, and 4 skittish minnows. I want to get a pair of German Blue Rams but I DON'T want to endanger them until I know what the heck is happening.

13) I also have a bubble curtain. My pH balance is around 7.0. I know about the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH levels. I don't know about hardness, softness, oxygen/C02, or anything else like this.

14) Should I but expensive equipment? A protein skimmer or a UV sterilizer or...? I don't even know what that stuff is but I'm at my wit's end here.

Please help!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Wow, lots of problems.
3) The SunSun was working in another tank?? How long was it out of tank before you used it again??
5) Nitrate at 40PPM is not too bad, what is Nitrite??
7) Blue, then white, then charcoal, then others.
9) Please do not assume---Measure.
11) What kind of plants?? PIctures may help.
12) No Rams with Tiger Barbs---And plase wait till tank settles.
13) All others are not important,...yet
14). Protein skimmer does not work in FW. UV is not needed.

Reactions: Anders247

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
It sounds like the SunSun was new when you started using it...did you wash or rinse any or all of it out first, or did you just take it out of the box, put it on the tank and plug it in?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Welcome!

It's hard to say what the root cause is. Like tanker said, 40ppm nitrates is a bit high, but certainly not the end of world for most fish. What test kit are you using? Are you 100% sure you're following the nitrate test to a "T"? It's the trickiest of the tests.

I don't know that I would blame the Sunsun 302 canister, although I wouldn't trust the 'activated carbon' that comes with them. I toss it. My Sunsun 302 is staged bottom-up like this: plastic pot scrubbies, sponge, then various bio media in the top tray including more plastic scrubbies, plastic bio-balls, ceramic rings and gravel.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Did you follow the directions and rinse the filter media in chlorine free water before installing them in the filter? When you said that all this filmy stuff came out when you started the filter, made me think maybe you had not rinsed the media. Carbon and some bio-media have a whole lot of dust on them that does need to be removed before you start the filter. Whether or not that would kill your fish I don't know for sure, but all that carbon dust can not help them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store