Saltwater in a metaframe style tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

urchin2

Registered Member
May 21, 2015
I am thinking of setting up my first marine tank (reef) but would really like to find an old metaframe style tank and customize it as needed. I've seen some threads about this, but no definitive conclusions. Does anyone have experience with using one of these for saltwater? I would be willing to get creative with the hood lighting if necessary. Alternatively I would consider a new tank with the same look, but haven't found anything similar in my searches. Thanks :)

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Why?? For the looks?? I use to have a metaframe tank with SW when I was a little girl. My dad set it up for me. He kept the water about 2 inches below the surface. We only had a few rocks and 5 little crabs.

You can always seal the metal edge, but why?? Go with all glass or plastic.

urchin2

Registered Member
May 21, 2015
Absolutely for the looks. I am an architect and my whole life is aesthetically driven - call it a curse - lol. This is the look I am going for....

12725f9c8dcf1b2bc9a4c66d9b076d69.jpg

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I understand--Nostagia. It does look nice. Maybe seal the metal edges with a clear epoxy.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I had a metaframe tank set up as brackish for a while. what specifically are you worried about, rust on the frame, or fitment of the lid? You'll likely have to do something custom for a canopy or do hanging lights. I didn't have much problem with rust, but you'll get a lot more salt creep with full SW than with brackish, so I would just make it a habit of wiping down the metal frame daily when feeding to discourage rust.

urchin2

Registered Member
May 21, 2015
I had a metaframe tank set up as brackish for a while. what specifically are you worried about, rust on the frame, or fitment of the lid? You'll likely have to do something custom for a canopy or do hanging lights. I didn't have much problem with rust, but you'll get a lot more salt creep with full SW than with brackish, so I would just make it a habit of wiping down the metal frame daily when feeding to discourage rust.
I guess I am most worried about metal corrosion that might leach into the tank (mostly from the canopy) and throw off the chemistry in the tank. Not to mention I want it to look nice! Can you explain what that canopy would need to house? It might help me understand what my options are. In the picture above there are housings for lamps - would those work with the correct lamping? Thanks.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
The lighting requirements of the tank will largely depend on the tank style. Fish only, fish and soft corals, SPS-dominated reef? They all have drastically different lighting requirements which will drive different requirements in the canopy. The canopy pictured looks like it is a basic fluorescent light fixture, which would really only be adequate for a fish-only tank. I supposed if you were handy you could retrofit some double-ended metal halide bulbs in there if you wanted to do reef, but I think you'd have heat problems.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Wouldn't the sealant used also be of a concern...some of those true metaframe tanks used a tar like substance to make them water tight....one of the reasons you can attempt a re-seal to the slate with boiling water...just a thought.

urchin2

Registered Member
May 21, 2015
Okay, so I think if I find the tank, I may do the resealing with silicone, have the bottom drilled for salt and just hang Kessil style lights above it in retro looking housings for the aesthetics. Now the real challenge will be to find the tank! Thanks all for the suggestions.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Silicone won't seal to the slate bottom or metal corners. That's why they were made with tar.

A metal frame tank this old will undoubtedly be corroded. The metals from the stainless steel will also affect corals very negatively. It may be ok with more tolerant fish and larger invertebrates but I would not consider it as a reef tank.

As an alternative you could always go with a traditional plastic frame tank and then just use a chrome or steel foil laminate to give it the metal "look". Then you wouldn't have any of the negative aspects of actual metal to go with it.

Andy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store