New food =instantly sick fish???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Emmabemma

Registered Member
May 27, 2015
Minnesota
Hey all... Today I tried feeding my 3" fan tail some sun dried baby shrimp (biggest was 1/4") instead of fish flakes. Upon eating one she immediately became lethargic and keeps rapidly opening and closing her mouth. Is she choking or what in the world!?

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
There is no way to know for sure what is wrong, but it is entirely possible that she is choking. I have found that with those dried shrimp, it is usually best to break them up before feeding. I hope that with time it will soften and she will be able to swallow it. I don't know that there is much you can do at this point but wait and see.

Emmabemma

Registered Member
May 27, 2015
Minnesota
There is no way to know for sure what is wrong, but it is entirely possible that she is choking. I have found that with those dried shrimp, it is usually best to break them up before feeding. I hope that with time it will soften and she will be able to swallow it. I don't know that there is much you can do at this point but wait and see.
Thank you, I appreciate your input. She seems to be doing a little better today, and is Going after food again, but I'm surprised she choked at all! The shrimp are so tiny even my little common goldfish swallowed them whole

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
It may not have been that at all, but sometimes they just go down the wrong way and get stuck. I still would recommend crumbling the dried shrimp and perhaps soaking them for a short time in a little of the tank water to soften them, or just stick to the flake food. Hope she will be fine.

Emmabemma

Registered Member
May 27, 2015
Minnesota
It may not have been that at all, but sometimes they just go down the wrong way and get stuck. I still would recommend crumbling the dried shrimp and perhaps soaking them for a short time in a little of the tank water to soften them, or just stick to the flake food. Hope she will be fine.
I tried that this time as it went over much better. They go crazy for the shrimp :)

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Sometimes fish bite off more than they can chew.;-) I've seen this with many different fish. They'll gobble up several pieces of food before swallowing it. This obviously jams up the mouth and throat affecting their ability to breath freely. They usually work through it eventually without issue.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
or try frozen brine shrimp....less hassle than soaking dried foods and especially for gobblers like goldies.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store