passive gars

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

flamingogar

Registered Member
May 28, 2015
I had to take my puffers out because they would have killed my bigger gator gars

The puffers eat the goldfish no one else does

the arawana is too small

Only the cichlid is strong enough to smash a puffer into orbit

I thought my pond/tank was 300 i guess its 350

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Interesting, I would have thought an Arowana is fast enough to run away from puffers. Which puffers did you have in your pond? Most puffers like to eat goldfish. Even goldfish that are much bigger than they are by taking chunks out until it eventually kills the goldfish.

Reactions: Anders247

flamingogar

Registered Member
May 28, 2015
tiny figure 8 puffers 2 inches i had a couple i was told they clean the tank good

the arawana lost a chunk i think they sneak up

cichlids dont run away even the jewels will turn around and attack anything my goldfish are turning into koi

maybe ill find someone who wants them with a pond

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Oh, F8 puffer? I have 2 of them in a 29 gal (just them). They look so innocent until I put their favourite food in (frozen bloodworms, literally still frozen). Once a week they get a jumbo raw frozen shrimp with shell for their teeth. Oh boy, don't want to be that shrimp. They will terrorize that poor shrimp over the next 2 days then I take the remains back out. Definitely not a community fish - based on my short experience I don't believe anybody that claims F8 puffers can work out long term in a community setting.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
How can a little puffer kill a gator gar? Those fish are huge. Like something Jeremy Wayde would catch.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
How can a little puffer kill a gator gar? Those fish are huge. Like something Jeremy Wayde would catch.
It is very simple. Puffers got teeth. How do you eat a cow that is many times bigger than you? Same principle. A puffer will eat bigger fish piece by piece - even if they are still alive. Puffers are very opportunistic predators. Ah, yes, you may laugh now seeing how a puffer looks so innocent. Well, they are not, they are very vicious.

Reactions: Anders247

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
We don't eat whole cows in one try. What I was trying to get at was couldn't the gar just eat them with ease?

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
We don't eat whole cows in one try. What I was trying to get at was couldn't the gar just eat them with ease?
Neither do puffers eat everything they kill in one try. If the gar was trying to eat them he could probably do it - if he can catch them. Not sure, but I think they are not very flexible and can't change direction in a hurry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store