Stocking a 5.5 gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SandySquarepants

AC Members
May 31, 2015
Hello all,
bought a 5.5 gal as a summer project and have been attempting a fish less cycle with a bacteria starter and bits of fish flakes to keep it going. It's been 4 days now and levels seem good (liquid api freshwater kit, 0/0/0 for amm/nit/nitrate). I have hard alkaline water (pH 7.6) and wanted to know of this tank is actually cycled and what I can put in it (please don't say betta) or if I should wait longer.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
The bacteria starter would still need some source of ammonia to survive or multiply. So, it is probably not cycled. You do have lots of options in even that small a tank.

Shrimp tank, an ADF or 2, Micro Rasboras, Galaxy Rasboras, IMO--4-5 Neons, all would be OK,,

Reactions: Anders247

SandySquarepants

AC Members
May 31, 2015
Ah I see, I was under the impression that the rotting fish flakes would make enough ammonia, but obviously not since I'm getting zero for readings any ideas on how to speed up the process? Can household ammonia be used? And I like rasboras, but how about bottom dwellers like a panda cory or upside down catfish?

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Fastest way---Ask you LFS for some gravel, wood or rocks already in an extablished tank. You can also have some plants, that will really make it easy.

As for corys, you can try Corydorus Hastatus, Pygmaeus, or Hadrosus

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
I don't think that any types of cories would do well in a tank this small. But if you want a bottom feeder then why not have a few snails? A mystery snails would be a good candidate for a 5.5 gallon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anders247

Shaneisthisguy

AC Members
Jun 7, 2015
San Diego
Real Name
Shane
I have recently set up several new tanks & 7 days is what i have been doing before adding fish. Its worked great, so maybe try that? 5.5 Gallon, maybe like guppies or so? I personally am not super educated on the nano fish but. Obviously they gotta be pretty small for a 5.5. Hope this helps.

beastykato

AC Members
Jun 25, 2015
I would recommend the red cherry shrimp or any other shrimp varieties. A betta to go along with them will probably be okay unless he's aggressive. I have hard time agreeing with cories or even small tetras being used in a tank this small. They enjoy schooling and space to swim. Yes, they will probably survive in the tank, but I don't think they would be happy. The cories especially just wouldn't have a enough surface area on the bottom of the tank IMO.

Snails would also be something easily added to a tank this size. And snails reminded me of my favorite small tank inhabitant, the dwarf puffer! They are very intelligent and fun to watch. You can feed them snails and other inverts. They are just very interesting animals to watch and provide "big" fish fun by being able to watch them prey on live foods.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Household ammonia is fine. See the article linked below.

Endlers are fun. Kind of like a mini guppy. I like Malaysian trumpet snails. The will take over a tank that is not maintained, but having them forces me to kepp nitrates very low which is good for the fish. So find a few of those and get a single dwarf puffer. Would be a neat setup.

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
You would want industrial ammonia, household ammonia may have fragrant, ect. Get it from a hardware store (ACE, HomeDepot, ect). You really only need a little. You will only be adding a drop per gallon in the begining. The cycle will take about 2-3 weeks, but is safer and better. Find an article on "Fishless cycle", or Nitrgen Cycle".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store