How do I make a 110 Aquaclear filter run quieter?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I realized much of the sound in the filter is coming from the lift tube. I'm unable to get the upper back section of the lift tube to completely fill with water, hence there is a gurgling sound as the water churns and falls passed it. Any suggestions on how to remedy that issue?
This usually happens when the filter isnt fully primed. Adjust the flow to max and see if it fills up all the way. If it does then you can readjust it to however youd like.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
I realized much of the sound in the filter is coming from the lift tube. I'm unable to get the upper back section of the lift tube to completely fill with water, hence there is a gurgling sound as the water churns and falls passed it. Any suggestions on how to remedy that issue?
A couple of things that may or may not help. The water in the tube should flow fast enough to clear the air. Hopefully it's not the age of the motor slowing the flow

First try switching back and forth from low to high flow

Make sure the back end of the tube is properly seated in the groove. If it's loose, it loses suction

Sponge prefilters can slow the flow. Sometimes I have to take mine off until the filter sucks all of the air out of the tube, then replace the prefilter sponge.

If all else fails, you can shove air tubing up the intake and suck the air out with your mouth

Aquartist

AC Members
Mar 19, 2010
Cleveland Heights, OH
Looking at the situation again I noticed the second section of the lift tube was completely covered with fine debris (I can't believe I overlooked it before), clearing that section permitted ample water flow that easily eliminated any opportunity for an air bubble to form in the lift tube, however the impeller is still a little noisy (even after lubricating the magnetic shaft with a little vasoline - though I still may try the plumbers silicone). In terms of expectations I guess I've gotten spoiled by my Eheim canister filter, which runs silent.

gar1948

POSEIDON
May 8, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
My lid on my ac 50 wast rattling so I cut some silicone air tubing in half the long way and siliconed a few pcs to the bottom rim of the cover. It insulates the cover from the main filter body and removes any noise. You still have it covered which I prefer.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Maybe a leveling, water level or impeller issue? I know what you mean about the top (horizontal) part of the lift tube not completely filling with water. Mine do that sometimes after water changes, but eventually, completely fill. I've currently got the following ACs running: One 110, two 70s and a 30.

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
on some filters, even if the flow from the supply siphon is good enough to let the impeller suck out the air bubble, it still isn't fast enough to keep the impeller from cavitating. watch the end of the siphon to see whether the pump is somehow sucking air down the side of the tube and into the pump; try repositioning the siphon over the inlet hole to the impeller if this is happening.

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
Over a year old, but still running, lol
Putting something heavy on the lid, will quiet things down.

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
All as above, if you want to use the lid, just put something heavy on the lid will not rattle anymore.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store