After Blackout then What?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
In one of 20g high tanks I have had a problem with a green spiderweb like algae on one plant. that plant is a red foxtail. I started seeing a little on some new plants so decided to try a blackout for a while. This is the second day and the algae is nearly gone. My question is should I leave out the ferts for a while after turning the lights back on. I have been using a Marineland LED plant light for 10 hours. I have snails and shrimp in the tank as well as fish. I do not over feed and I do water changes on schedule once a week. I still have no idea what has caused this algae. My other 20g high has no algae, same light and no ferts ever except for fish waste.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Well the blackout really does work. After only 2 days in the dark that horrible green web of algae is pretty much gone. The snails are polishing off what's left of it. I think I am going to stop dosing any fertilizer for a few days too, in hopes that it doesn't return. I have tested the water and parameters are all zero ppm.
I'd like to get your opinion on leaving out the ferts for a while.

downloader

AC Members
Oct 29, 2001
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
how much of the water do you change? I had black beard algae, tried everything no lights. no food, flourish, peroxcide. The only thing that really made a big difference was big water changes. Like half for a few weeks in a row. Good luck

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Strange that only a 2 day Black out fixed or stopped the problem. I would have done it for about 5 days.

Reactions: Rbishop

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
This was a long time ago post, but it really did go away in 2 days. No problems since. Thanks for the help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store