Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. G

Help.

Hi Before you do anything get some idea of what you want to keep.lol Cruise the internet for tons of pix and info of the gazillions of types of setups. generally "easy" falls into the realm of FW for many reasons even more so is you combine" Easy and cheap" lol I'd suggest Fw for a...
  2. G

What's Your Opinion on Jaubert's Plenum Method?

Hi There are dozens of ways to go about it . One of the great arguments is depth of sand and particlle size as well as the size of the "hole" If the tank were mine I''d go bare bottom in the display tank with the plenum in the sump. Good skimmer for sure. They make nitrate filters...
  3. G

Cyanobacteria - Why is it bad?

Hi Last I read there are at least 30,000 species of algae One million species of bacteria then there those that can't make up their mind lol. Like all life forms they are converting chemicals into other chemicals To my knowledge the only ones thast produce oxygen are "Green" those that are...
  4. G

Goldfish Newbie - Need to correct my mistake keeping them in small tank!

Hi Wwouldn't argue for a second GF have been kept in every kind of container for hundred if not thousand of years . Still are for that matter. Heck my grandmother kept GF in a bowl for many years. Certainly not" ideal" for sure. My point was if you want to keep GF or any fish for that...
  5. G

Neil Armstrong has passed on...

Hi i distincly remember that day as I won 25 bucks from my father!! His logic was that it couldn't be done because it's not possible to get off the earth. Always found it interesting that the very reason that it happened was because of politic not science . As soon as it happened everybody...
  6. G

Hi There are dozens of ways to set up a pond including above ground much depends on the winter climate naturally. I have a 5x10 x3 foot above ground made with lined 4x4. I live in s. florida so don't have to deal with snow and ice Check around the net on various types of setups...
  7. G

Hi Probably the "Ideal" environment for GF is 50 gallons of water per fish with temps below 70. They will survive a wide range outside that as you've already learned . They are generally a poor choice as a tank fish but almost ideal as a pond fish for many reasons. IMO they do not require...
  8. G

300 gal tank in basement playroom...glass or acrylic?

Hi have been checking around for 150/200 gallon for my neighbors who want to use it as a room divider so will need to be viewable from at least two sides. there happens to be a custom builder near me so thought I'd check it out. He gave me the pros/cons of acrylic /glass there is no...
  9. G

300 gal tank in basement playroom...glass or acrylic?

Hi Curious as to how it will be situated in the room?? Big tanks IMO are always better built into the walls otherwise they domintate the room as well as other uses for the room. Of course this means you need a way to get behind it but then this provides a place for the inevitable mass of...
  10. G

Starting a pond

Hi Sounds like one of those "How long is a rope?" lol You want above, below ground ,plants ,fish both tropical cold water even salt if REALLY ambitious lol What would be the winter plan?, Waterfalls, streams ,,bogs Ornamental or functional ?? need a LOT more info gary
  11. G

Confused to an extent about tank size

Hi Have you checked out "Aquatic eco systems" They sell fiberglass tanks in many sizes with and without windows . haven't done the math but suspect the cost would be close to a DIY You can also get both built in and add on filtration systems . gary
  12. G

Converting a 50g aquarium to a Paludarium for RETF's.

Hi since these are tree dwelling frogs native to rainforests you'll need to setup the tank to their needs . Much different than the usual frogs for sure. I'd google them and get as much info as possible . Do you have a source?? They should be ablre to help a lot!! gary
  13. G

Office tank

Hi Well they sent me to another building for the cat scan so didn't even get to see the tank let alone a pic.lol Did get to see the one at the hospital but it's so ordinary bordering on bland lol There is a sticker on the front with the maintenece co. so may call them and ask about the...
  14. G

Care of German Blue Rams?

Hi I would like to try again but feel that I should change something but at a loss as to what lol. The one survivor is doing well but then the others appeared to be doing well and never showed signs of distress . Only symtom was going off food and then hiding always died during the night...
  15. G

800 gallon plywood aquarium

Hi You might check out the fiberglass tanks at "Aquatic Eco systems" You can get them with and without viewing windows Have not done the math but would probably come close in price to a homemade?? gary
  16. G

Care of German Blue Rams?

Hi Here's my experience . could only find two bought them one lived a week went off the food and hid , Bought 5 more In Feb follwed the same as the first. They would go off the food and die Am now left with the one original who seems to be doing fine fed them mosquito larvae several...
  17. G

Flowering Anubias?

Hi have had them flower in my ponds but thik the flower must be held above the surface of course thaat's true of almost all plants . Not many pollinators underwater . I have found that anubias tend to prefer to grow out of the water. though they certainly will grow UW but much slower lol gary
  18. G

Anchoring driftwood...

Hi I've had much better luck with silicone in layers attached to slate I find it tends to rot right at the screw threads . Does the piece float ?? If so that will be a LOT of pull lol. I have a piece of "rosewood " that has been continuously sbmerged since 1992 . I was so shocked when...
  19. G

Office tank

Hi Bucket When you call you get the main office . She didn't even know there was a tank in the center nor who to ask lol Greech It went from a hole in the wall in May of 10 to fully stocked reef tank In August of 10 The building was not even there in Jan of 10 If the tank is owned...
  20. G

DIY Pond Filter System - Start to Finish.

Hi WOW you really went all out !!! Curious as to your method for "winter" management?? I use a rainwater purge system because I don't have to deal with snow and ice and I'm basicly very lazy not to mention cheap !! lol gary
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store