Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. ECooper

Jumping spider feeding on cricket (pics)

I found this Phidippusjumping spider wandering around on my living room ceiling. Before releasingit outside I thought I’d take a few photos, and considering that its abdomenlooked a little small, I gave it a two-week old cricket to eat. These photos were also a test of a new flash bracket...
  2. ECooper

Video: tropical harvestman eating a midge

This video shows a tiny juvenile Central American harvestmen (Acromares vittatum) very rapidly devouring a chironomid midge (like a mosquito that doesn’t bite). I shot this video last weekend on my kitchen table using 3 tabletop LCD lamps. Unfortunately I didn't get the colour balance quite...
  3. ECooper

Jumping spider with dinner

Last weekend I was enjoying the beautiful weather by preparing a nice BBQ dinner for the family. We had just sat down at the table (out on the deck) when my youngest son pointed out a “spider carrying another spider” (as he put it) on one of the deck posts. It turned out to be a juvenile...
  4. ECooper

"filth fly" photos

Photos of a "filth fly", genus Muscina . These flies are found worldwide, commonly hanging around livestock facilities, restrooms, outhouses, cadavers; hence the rather unfortunate common name of filth fly... Photographed with an Olympus OM-D EM-5, 60mm macro lens, and flash. Cheers, EC...
  5. ECooper

Bald-faced hornet

It might not be that difficult. Ted MacRae has published a bit about the topic: http://beetlesinthebush.wordpress.com/2009/05/20/tiger-beetle-rearing/ Actually, it sounds like it would be fun just to rear some larva!
  6. ECooper

Bald-faced hornet

There are a couple of small tiger beetle species that range into southern BC where I live, but they seem to be really rare. Hopefully I'll see/photograph one some day. Have you tried keeping one in captivity? EC
  7. ECooper

Bald-faced hornet

What a gorgeous critter! Nice photograph too. I'm even more jealous now. :) What State do you live in?
  8. ECooper

Bald-faced hornet

I'm jealous! Tiger beetle are really uncommon where I live...I've never even seen one, never mind had the chance to photograph one!
  9. ECooper

Bald-faced hornet

LOL! Thanks! EC
  10. ECooper

Bald-faced hornet

I haven't posted here for ages! For that matter I haven't done much photography for ages. I didn't lose interest, life just got a bit too busy. But spring is here and its time to break out the camera gear and start shooting some bugs. In the meantime I've been going through my files and came...
  11. ECooper

Thai micro crab (pic)

I recently bought a couple of Thai micro crabs (Limnopilos naiyanetri) to photograph and add to my aquarium. These critters were really tiny and my aquarium is chock full of wood and plants. I knew that once I added the crabs I would be lucky to ever see them again; so I took the time to take...
  12. ECooper

Portrait of a yellow rabbit snail (Tylomelania zemis)

This is one of three specimens of these snails that I added to my aquarium this past weekend. These are such gorgeous animals! Cheers, EC www.macrocritters.wordpress.com [ 20130505rabbit snail edit copyright ernie cooper 2013_filtered by ernie.cooper, on Flickr
  13. ECooper

Baby (Brachypelma tarantula) got a brand new coat

I bought this spider specifically to photograph, but it is also an interesting critter. I chose this species because they are easy to keep in captivity; they are very pretty; and they are docile. I do a lot of my photography on the kitchen table and didn’t want something that would take off and...
  14. ECooper

Close-up photos of the underside of a hillstream loach

Close-up photos of the underside of a hillstream loach as it clings to the inside of the glass in my aquarium—you can clearly see internal structures such as the heart and skeleton. Normally I would hate an aquarium photo that didn’t have utterly clean glass. But in this case, I think the...
  15. ECooper

The amazing ?flying? pond snail

The amazing “flying” pond snail I was walking past my aquarium yesterday and saw this little pond snail suspended in the water. When I looked closer I could see that the snail was veeeeery slowly sinking and had its body extended as if it was trying to reach the bottom. I grabbed my camera and...
  16. ECooper

Macro photos of freshwater amphipods

LOL! Thank you VERY much! EC www.macrocritters.wordpress.com
  17. ECooper

Hi all, and thank you for the kind words. The mystery of the amphipod with the red spot has been solved...it turns out that the red spot was actually an acanthocephalan (thorny-headed or spiny-headed worm) parasite called Polymorphus. Acanthocephalans are parasitic and don’t have a digestive...
  18. ECooper

amphipod tiff spotted edit colour_filtered unsharpen_filtered by ernie.cooper, on Flickr It has been waaaaay too long since I posted any photos. Funny how life can speed-up and suck all your time—especially over Christmas holidays when you have kids! Anyhow, I’m back and after a 2-week hiatus I...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store