Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. elinore

Barclaya longifolia seeds: Now what!

Hello all, Back in December, I was mistakenly sent a Barclaya longifolia along with an order of plants. Though I was not expecting it and knew literally nothing about it, I love the plant, and it has been growing beautifully and is apparently a very happy plant, as it has sent out several...
  2. elinore

Help! Probable cyanobacteria in a 2.5 gal!

Oh! I forgot to add that I also treated the tank with a round of erythromycin! By the way, thanks so much for the advice everyone! It looks like I've got a cyano-free tank :)
  3. elinore

Update! Ok, update! I decided to declare all-out war on the stupid cyanobacteria. I began by removing all the old gravel and scrubbing the heck out of the tank. I broke down the little filter and scrubbed that as well. I removed all my plants (one Anubias nana and lots of java ferns) and...
  4. elinore

I'm currently thinking that perhaps I will break down the tank and treat the plants with several doses of peroxide and a round of erythromycin. I think I'll get rid of my current gravel, dry the tank out, scrub it with peroxide, wash it thorougly and leave it dry for a week or so. When I set it...
  5. elinore

The water params were very stable, 0 ammonia and nitrites, low nitrates. I made sure to do a lot of water changes, and I'd change the water after I scraped the algae off so it wouldn't be left to die and muck up the water. I did try a blackout and antibacterial medicine, which helped for a...
  6. elinore

which do you prefer in bettas female or male

I only kept males for years, then got a female just to try. I ended up absolutely LOVING her personality and movement compared to my males, which, while they all had distinct personalities, shared slower movement and less activity than my female. Honestly, I think my girl was more aggressive...
  7. elinore

Hello! I have a huge algae problem in my little 2.5 gal. It was set up for about 3 years, with a little Red Sea filter, planted with lots of java fern and a pretty Anubias nana with a beautiful female crowntail betta who just recently passed away. The algae must have been introduced with the...
  8. elinore

New to plants, could really use advice!

Thanks! I'll save the tiger lotus for a later tank then. I really don't mind if the "red" plants I have in mind don't actually get red. As long as they'll live, I'll be very happy. In the case of the sword, a slower growth rate may actually be a good thing. I love the look of the Amazon Sword...
  9. elinore

Ok, so question of the day: how the heck would anyone recommend scaping a 55 gal corner bowfront? I don't know if my best option would be to do a big sword in the back corner, or a group of vals or something similarly tall and ribbon-y. The back corner is probably the darkest area of the tank...
  10. elinore

Thank you all SO much! This was exactly the information I needed and was having so much trouble finding! I've been keeping a list of plants I'd like to try, compiling it from the "easy" lists on places like The Planted Tank and from people's comments on this forum. Ludwigia repens is definitely...
  11. elinore

Hello, I've got a 55 gal corner bowfront tank that's been running since December. I would really like to set it up as a low-tech planted tank, partly for looks and partly because I would love to give the rampant algae some competition. My house gets a LOT of natural light (windows everywhere)...
  12. elinore

110 Native Wisconsin Riparium

I live in Minocqua and go to school at UW Madison. I do a lot of travelling up by Ashland and Bayfield, where we have a boat on Lk Superior. Couldn't be a better place to live! What types of plants are you thinking of using for your project? There are so many good natives to choose from...
  13. elinore

110 Native Wisconsin Riparium

As a fellow Wisconsinite, I can't wait to see it finished! What museum will it be displayed in? Maybe I could even visit it :)
  14. elinore

Freshwater Sponges?!?!

We have them in our lakes around here (Northern WI). The type we see is yellowish and usually between the size of a pingpong ball and a basketball. Some years there will be one on every piling in our dock. They do seem to be extremely sensitive though. The lake we live on is swarming with...
  15. elinore

Oto Pics: Fat? Or about to explode?

I have one of my four that looks just like that! I've been meaning to post a picture but that one likes to hide. I've noticed that the big one's colors are much duller than the others'. Is that how yours are?
  16. elinore

Goldfish sudden death, help!

Thanks for the tip! I'll re-check it first thing tomorrow. I think it's registering "some" nitrates but that particular color distinction (the yellow vs. gold vs. very light orange type one) has always been a little hard for me to tell which is which since it's not plain yellow (0ppm) but it's...
  17. elinore

He's eating and acting relatively normal tonight! I'm not uncrossing my fingers yet, but wow am I happy. I was so afraid he had whatever killed my poor oranda. I still think that the oranda's probems were mostly from bad breeding (he was from a horrible chain store) though I'm still being...
  18. elinore

The API liquid test kit shows 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, and 0 Nitrate. The Cories have beein in there since last November and the BNs were added in January. By "face" I mean for sure everything in front of the gill on the right side, and everything in front of but not including the eye on the...
  19. elinore

Here's some interesting new information. I just had a chance to speak with my mother, who came home before I did yesterday. She is the one who found the fish, but he wasn't just upside-down: he was wedged into a back corner, somehow sandwiched between the filter outtake and the glass (it's a...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store