Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. fermentedhiker

Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi tankmates

I'm finally making progress on getting my 125 up and running. The plan is for a harem of Otter Point Jakes, along with a trio of Synodontis lucipinnis. Originally I was planning on a large school of Lake Inle Danios for dither and just because I think they have a subtle beauty. At the moment...
  2. fermentedhiker

Betta Albimarginata setup?

I've got a couple Albie's in my 40B community tank. They are doing fine and won't let anyone else push them around. Tons of personality and are very aware and curious about my presence. So I'd like to put together a display that would suit them a bit better. The 40B has a bit too much...
  3. fermentedhiker

Sculpin/mudminnow tank?

yeah that is an issue. I'm still mulling over my options. I've considered upgrading one of the 20L to a 29 and setting up a FOWLR tank for a Fu Manchu lionfish, but that's a whole different set of problems :)
  4. fermentedhiker

Sculpin/mudminnow tank?

I would love some pike livebearer but I thought females could get 8" long? Seems like a 20L might be a bit small.
  5. fermentedhiker

Sculpin/mudminnow tank?

Well I've never kept them so I can't comment on how hard they are to catch. There are a couple online sources that sell them(Jonah's aquarium is one) though the cost is a bit high.
  6. fermentedhiker

Sculpin/mudminnow tank?

Thanks for the reply. So maybe a single Sculpin in a 20L would be best.
  7. fermentedhiker

Sculpin/mudminnow tank?

I'm in the process of setting up 4 20L tanks. One is going to be a SW QT tank so really I'm only setting up three "real" tanks. I want to set up one to be an interesting display that houses fish that aside from interesting me will be willing to consume Cichlid and livebearer culls from other...
  8. fermentedhiker

Cichlids for small tanks?

A 20 gallon would be good for a small colony of shellies . African butterfly cichlid would be another option but their coloration is subdued. Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
  9. fermentedhiker

Aquarium Filtration

I've used an FSB attached to a canister. It worked alright but I wouldn't recommend it. Canister filters just aren't made to handle the kind of back pressure created by an fsb. Mine only worked good for a week or so after completely breaking down and cleaning the canister filter. Otherwise...
  10. fermentedhiker

Simplifying my water changes?

Not completely decided at this point. Looking at either a 60 or 93 gallon cube at the moment.
  11. fermentedhiker

Greetings

Welcome to AC
  12. fermentedhiker

Simplifying my water changes?

Not a new idea by any means, but in getting ready to setup my first reef tank I wanted to somehow simplify the water changing process since I can't just run my python like I would for my freshwater systems. What I'm thinking of(and hope get your opinions on) is having the first stage of the...
  13. fermentedhiker

Thinking of taking the plunge into reef keeping

yeah I was thinking of using some of the vortech ones. Not sure which size and how many at this point. Definitely don't want any cords etc... hanging down into the tank. I got a reply from Marineland today and they no longer do drilling at their factory. So it looks like if I go that route...
  14. fermentedhiker

So the price for the Marineland 93 gallon cube is 432$. Still waiting on a response from them on having the tank predrilled. So seriously rethinking my original plan and looking at a three viewable side peninsula tank. Of course this mean forgoing the header style display fuge and going with...
  15. fermentedhiker

Cube tanks........hmmm well I always thought a cube tank should be viewable from at least three sides not just the two my kitchen island column idea has. Of course I could scrap it all together and do a peninsula tank off of the end of the kitchen cabinets which would give me the depth I need...
  16. fermentedhiker

Lighting question

Well I suppose the cheapest option is to get a 36inch T8 fluorescent fixture and a corallife actinic t8 bulb. 16$ on Amazon for the strip light and 11$ for the bulb from drfostersmith .
  17. fermentedhiker

So the glasscages was kind of a bust. The tank price wasn't bad, but shipping was ridiculous. I expected it to be pricey, but no 200+ per tank :( That and they ignored/overlooked my request for a three hole overflow instead of there standard two hole one. So it looks like I'm back to a 37DT...
  18. fermentedhiker

So as usual life gets in the way of tank builds :) Between shoulder surgery and other junk I'm just getting near to starting this project. Unfortunately as I've been remodeling the kitchen I find I don't have as much room as I thought :(. I'm still playing at moving cabinets around but it...
  19. fermentedhiker

Fu Manchu compatibility?

Do you think the Filefish would be safe(relatively speaking) though? I was thinking a smaller species of waspfish might be a better choice than the hawkfish, but was unsure whether or not the Filefish was big enough to be ignored.
  20. fermentedhiker

Fu Manchu compatibility?

I'm thinking of setting up a 40B(as a low-medium reef setup) for a Fu Manchu Lionfish. For tankmates I was considering a Matted Filefish partly for it's own merits and partly as an insurance policy against Aipstasia(as copperbands can be hit or miss, not too mention too big for this tank) and...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store