Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. B

WTB WTB - Apistogramma Agassizii

Apistodave on Aquabid usually has lots to offer. This place may not be too far from you: http://www.cichlids.net/pages/fish.php?gid=4&t=South+America+and+West+Africa
  2. B

Best online aquarium supply store?

Aside from the fact that there's a lot of difficult to find / unique items to go with the everyday needs, I can also attest to the quick shipping. I think they are about a 5 or 6 hour drive, but UPS ground ends up being overnight service for me in most cases. 2 days worst case.
  3. B

DIY Aquarium Grow Lights On A Budget

I believe it was IceCap that developed the parabolic reflector design that took T5's to a whole new level. It was the combination of the shape of the reflector and it's proximity to the bulb, being held in place by metal clips that made T5's truly efficient. Otherwise, they are just skinnied...
  4. B

Best online aquarium supply store?

When it comes to the truly generic stuff, there isn't a whole lot of breathing room between prices on any of them. But Ken's sells one of the widest arrays of foods and meds I've seen anywhere though, and I can attest to the quality. There aren't many places you can find astaxanthin, spirulina...
  5. B

Boy, if you've ever seen what salt spray does to a T5 reflector that's too close to the waterline, you'd know what I mean here. The parabolic reflectors that were designed for SW T5's are the key to their efficiency. Otherwise, they're just a skinny fluorescent tube that comes in temp. ranges...
  6. B

Nice job on the 3D standoffs! Do you have any idea how they'll stand up to heat over time? The Grainger link on the aluminum tape said the product is non-adhesive. If it is non-adhesive. how did you stick it onto the inside? I'm not trying to be negative hear, I think this is an awesome DIY...
  7. B

WTB Corydoras Habrosus

Try Rachel: www.msjinksd.com
  8. B

alright. i cant stand it. im done with sand.

WAY too much truth in that, lol! PS. I haven't used Maracyn in years, nor any of the "cyn's" . I'm pretty sure you have to take any biological filtration off-line while using it.
  9. B

alright. i cant stand it. im done with sand.

I agree here. If there are deep emerald green "sheets" appearing it's cyano. What I'm not understanding from this is how the removal of sand is going to solve the problem. Bacterial blooms are fed by decaying organic matter. With other substrates obviously being more porous, I think your...
  10. B

Leaking tank help!!

Now you're talkin'. I have 18 tanks in the den and fishroom, and could never get myself to bite the bullet on hinged canopies for any of them. I've had lots of cracked tanks given to me / found in trash and made tops for all at the price of glass cutter.
  11. B

Leaking tank help!!

I haven't seen it personally, but some have posted a Petsmart sale at $2/glaaon that includes a glass canopy and something else. That's not a bad deal at all if it's still available.
  12. B

Leaking tank help!!

I know it's easy for me to just type this, but I would just buy a new 20G. Stripping the silicone will take longer than you think and it's a painstaking process to do correctly. If the tank is leaking, that means the inner (between panes) is also compromised, meaning you face a decent chance you...
  13. B

The ants go marching

The ant baits in the little plastic boxes really worked for me. They take a little time an patience, but they do get rid of them in time. My home is in basically in the middle of an oak forest and believe me, we see ants.To ward off the hoard, diatom powder works great. 100% safe, and you can...
  14. B

death at high noon

How big is the pond and is this the first year? In your neck of the woods I would've suspected low O2 from a sudden increase in temp as well, but the sunnies and bluegill should've been OK. But also in your neck of the woods, lawn fertilizers and pesticides are sometimes taken to the max and...
  15. B

WTB Koi Angelfish

If you're after high coverage koi exclusively, there are a couple of Aquabid vendors I can recommend. The large hatcheries like Angels Plus, AngelfishUSA, and Mellow Aquatics don't often offer pairs, but you can always ask. Be prepared for some sticker-shock though.
  16. B

Effective nitrate removal?

I'll certainly agree that there's lots of fish that will tolerate nitrate levels that would seem off the chart. But I would think that those are scenarios where a tank and filters haven't been maintained and the fish have just learned to live with it, and the owner isn't all that bothered by...
  17. B

Effective nitrate removal?

I use Seachem Prime to dechlorinate my water before doing a water change. I just use a holding tank and let it circulate via a powerhead for about 15-30 minutes before using it. Prime claims to "remove" nitrates among other things. The logical guess would be that it actually binds with nitrates...
  18. B

Need help ID'ing native (baby?) fish

The orange in the tail area made me think Chromis, but anything is a guess because of the size and the various color changes they go through. There are plenty of Carribean Chromis species: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-11/hcs3/ The wild weather patterns we've seen can send some fish...
  19. B

Need help ID'ing native (baby?) fish

That's really small, but I'm going to guess a chromis species.
  20. B

Any guppy breeders out there?

Inject the word profit into any discussion about a hobby and it ceases to become a hobby. Just a simple friendly caution.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store