Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. OrionGirl

Debating Upping Shoals

It's ok to leave them mixed. Not ideal, no, but...Keep in mind that our 'shoal' is nothing like how they live in the wild. Even the biggest tank isn't coming close. These fish live in a shoal of hundreds. I prefer to keep single species because a) I think it looks better b) they might breed c)...
  2. OrionGirl

Debating Upping Shoals

I likely wouldn't. Increasing filtration doesn't increase space. Is this a standard 20 or a 20 long?
  3. OrionGirl

Glofish and Mystery Snail

Water changes are good. They remove wastes and keep the water closer to tap. Doing them wrong or with poor source water will be detrimental, but otherwise, there is NO reason not to do big, regular water changes. Do you feed the snail specifically?
  4. OrionGirl

Ick

It's been a long time since I've had it, but heat would be my first method depending on the fish.
  5. OrionGirl

Gouramis sick? i need help

First, petting the fish can be stressful. It damages their slime coat and can introduce chemicals (soap, lotion, etc) to the water. Second...I don't understand why you are concerned that they hang above the surface to rest. This sounds completely normal. Third...how old is the tank? How was...
  6. OrionGirl

Tetra belly exploded

That may or may not be the cause of death. The organs are the first thing that fish/snails will target to eat on a corpse. Dropsy is directly related to poor water conditions. What are the tank specs/stock, actual test results, etc?
  7. OrionGirl

Betta — Sick or just Chillin' ?

That looks like a rose tail. Those fins are very heavy and make swimming very difficult. Any flow at all will be hard to counteract. Rose tails display the exact behavior you are seeing, because they don't have the muscle to carry the fins for very long so will rest on leaves or at the intake of...
  8. OrionGirl

Arrowhead Crab

Crustaceans are generally pretty hardy when it comes to being exposed to fresh water--though it sounds more like you were mixing in new salt water, rather than fresh water? It likely was just surprised by the current coming from a new location. I tend to prefer adding water to the sump or...
  9. OrionGirl

Who can tell me what’s wrong with my Brissell nose

I see the color change on the back, but it doesn't look abnormal.
  10. OrionGirl

Easy unfiltered 60 gallon pond

It isn't unfiltered...it just doesn't have a powered filter. Plants most definitely count as a filter. Hyacinth do an amazing job of remove wastes, plus they bloom. I run tubs like this all summer. I don't put fish out anymore since I don't have space to deal with the fry, so now axolotls go...
  11. OrionGirl

Help Betta sick!

Tank specs? Any tank mates? Water changes? Temp? Yes, that is abnormal. Why it happened, can't say without more information.
  12. OrionGirl

F8 Tankmates

Depends on what they are in when you get them.
  13. OrionGirl

Paper looking slime

You need to address the cause. There isn't anything that eats it. Manual removal and nutrient control will help, as will adding circulation--it only builds up in low flow areas. There are lots of 'cures' sold, but many of them have serious impact on your beneficial bacteria. I'd try...
  14. OrionGirl

Angels: Need a clarity on feeding "Australian Black Worms"

I can't see why you couldn't feed them. I don't feed daily, but for those that do, this could be PART of daily feedings but I don't endorse feeding a single type of food exclusively, since I don't think there are many that are nutritionally complete. All foods result in nitrogen being added...
  15. OrionGirl

Puffers

Puffers, maybe, and I would plan to put them in last and quarantine for a full 6 weeks before adding them. Pencils/kuhli's, I've never seen aggression issues.
  16. OrionGirl

Puffers

Not really, because it depends on more factors than just 'x fish'. Dense planting with fast growing plants, weekly water changes, lightly fed versus 2 anubias with heavy feedings and monthly water changes for example. I'd go with 6 of each group fish, pair of apistos, and then test. Determine...
  17. OrionGirl

Puffers

I can't recall if I had kuhli's in with mine or not. The puffers ignored other fish completely, though, so don't think they'd bother. Swap them for the cories, though, since both are bottom dwellers. I'm a fan of pencils more than tetras, so look at hockeystick pencils. Neat fish, get to be in...
  18. OrionGirl

Puffers

I had 6 in a 40 and they were fine. Keep them with fish that are similar in size, and nothing too aggressive. Some of the larger, sleek tetras or pencils, some medium sized cories, and a pair of apistogramma would likely work well in a planted tank.
  19. OrionGirl

Puffers

Within a few years, yes. Most that you see in the stores are 3-4 inches, and will hit a foot within 18 months, then growth slows down. I didn't say it would be fine in a 55 forever. ;)
  20. OrionGirl

Puffers

Will you be planting it? Red eyes would be fine in a 55, as would a lone fahaka--but they are ambush predators, so need a soft substrate, and will would be the only fish in there.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store