Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. Ecthalion

Most docile/community chiclid?

I believe keyhole cichlids are the most peaceful, followed closely by checkerboards, then golden dwarf acaras, then bolivian and GB rams. Any of these can be aggressive when breeding, however.
  2. Ecthalion

Suggestions anyone???

You need some cichlids! There are various genera of West African and South American dwarf cichlids that'll be likely to please. Pelvicachromis, Nannochromis, Anomalochromis, Teleogramma, and Steatocranus are genera that hail from West Africa, while the genera Apistogramma, Mikrogeophagus...
  3. Ecthalion

37 Gal - what to stock?

What type of tank is it? Planted or hardscape?
  4. Ecthalion

Cichlid with Tiger barbs

Cichlids are considered aggressive? No. Certain cichlids are brutal. Others are shy and almost humble. Really depends on the species. A pair or two of Cryptoheros sajica? These are relatively territorial, but they mind their own business unless someone enters their territory during breeding...
  5. Ecthalion

Male or Female Jack Dempsey?

It certainly looks very masculine.
  6. Ecthalion

Lone Convict needs a friend

The above mentioned species are ones that could coexist with a lone convict, or perhaps a breeding pair in a very large tank. Convicts are not extremely aggressive fish when they're not breeding, and they usually ignore non-cichlid fish, unless the non-cichlids are bothering them or are small...
  7. Ecthalion

what is it name?

Definitely a Pseudotropheus sp., probably a blue or cobalt zebra, as mentioned above.
  8. Ecthalion

small Cichlids

Apistogramma aggassizi or Apistogramma sp. 'aggasizi' cf. 'tefe'. I think they're the first.
  9. Ecthalion

Lone Convict needs a friend

Definitely not safe for another small male convict. The only really safe fish are large cichlids or non-cichlid fish that are biggish and fast enough to stay away from him. Serpae tetras, giant danios, tiger barbs, several types of larger rainbowfish...
  10. Ecthalion

Powder Blue Rams

Right with you on hating the common names. If all the world was on the Metric System, spoke Latin, and measured degrees in Celsius, life would be easy.
  11. Ecthalion

Honduran Redpoint

Cousins. I should have said that. My male HRPs only get 4 inches, if that. My male convicts get 6+. My point is: they are a different species. Much like the Mbuna in lake Malawi in Africa. They are different species, each with its own coloration and behavioral traits, as well as aggression...
  12. Ecthalion

Discus and A. Cacatuoides

Really? I have them in 82˚ right now... Maybe that's why they're not breeding.
  13. Ecthalion

Honduran Redpoint

HRPs are, in fact, quite a different fish than Convicts. Despite being able to hybridize with them, they have many differences. Convict cichlids are brown/grey with black bars. They have a more sharply pointed mouth. They have more dorsal spines. They are much more aggressive. They get bigger...
  14. Ecthalion

Krib Question

I think you could pull off one male. I take it you are a New England Patriot fan?
  15. Ecthalion

Discus and A. Cacatuoides

Would the 4 4 1/2'' discus in my 55 gallon heavily planted tank be alright with an A. Cacatuoides harem in there also? Please just answer the question. I know I shouldn't be keeping discus in a planted 55 gallon, but I've been doing it for about 6 months now and they're eating and growing fine...
  16. Ecthalion

Starting a new 55 gallon cichlid tank!

Play sand won't compact very well with mbuna stirring it around. Yellow labs are compatible with a variety of more peaceful mbuna; Pseudotropheus socolofi, Idotropheus sp. 'rusty', Cynotilapia afra, and Pseudotropheus acei should work, to name a few.
  17. Ecthalion

split tank for cichlids

'Africans' is a generalization. There are Africans that fit in planted tanks. Pelvicachromis, Teleogramma, and Steatocranus genera are well worth looking at, and are just as easy to keep in a planted tank (true, they might dig, but only if breeding).
  18. Ecthalion

LFS in your area

Wet Spot Tropical Fish 4310 NE Hancock St. Portland, OR, 97213
  19. Ecthalion

Update of my Female Con and her male.

Great fish. Convicts are seriously underrated. The male, however, looks like he isn't pure convict. He looks like a cross between a convict and a Cryptoheros sp. Honduran red point. That would explain his lesser aggressiveness. Male convicts have clear fins. No color. I love his fin extensions!
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store