Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. M

Mosquito fish

I would think that the baby goldfish would eat any mosquito larvae in the pond so there should be no need for more fish. I know least killies would be too small to eat goldfish fry and people use them to deal with mosquitos.
  2. M

What is wrong with my rainbow crab?

I would look up crab anatomy and make sure that is not a normal part. It looks like it is originating from underneath the "tail" of the crab (I have no idea what you call that). It looks like swimmeretts on a shrimp so crabs might have something similar under there to hold eggs in place.
  3. M

Shallow but long bin for pygmy cory catfish?

If you want a small cory that likes to swim near the bottom, habrosus cories would be a great choice. They stay small but are like other cories and root around in the substrate.
  4. M

shrimp crossbreed in planted tank

Wow that is pretty cool. It almost looks like a tibee shrimp.
  5. M

Has anyone used this filter?

So what filters did you go with?
  6. M

Guppies in a Biology Project...

A sponge filter would be a good choice. You can get an air pump ft or about $15 new and 4 sponge filters on ebay for about $9. I am not sure what size containers you are talking about. I have seen them ranging from less than .5 gallons to 2 gallons in volume.
  7. M

Equipment

They look home made. The first pic looks like it has some sort of bubble counter so it might have served as a CO2 reactor. Other than that I am not sure what they are. The first one might just be a strange diy filter. The second one might be a skimmer? Looks like the hoses need to be replaced...
  8. M

Growing anubias vertically?

I am sure it prefers to grow horizontal, but I have some growing attached to a rock and as the rhizome grew it ran into another rock and began growing up against it. The same thing happened on a piece of wood. I agree that having the leaves at a different angle might make them die eventually...
  9. M

FS FS - BBA Anubias - NY

Is this stuff in high demand? I have a whole piece of wood covered in black bunny algae! It's a thick coat of it too.
  10. M

Who grows aquatic plants outside?

What I am not sure about is what the optimal amount of light, the intensity of it, and how long the tank gets it. I could increase or decrease the light by moving the tank and adding a screen, but I am not even sure if there was too much light on the tank and bin or if there was another issue...
  11. M

Who grows aquatic plants outside?

Over the past two summers I have left a 10 gallon tank outside to try to grow plants. It is just a regular 10 gallon tank with dirt from the woods capped with pool filter sand. It grows stem plants pretty well, as well as anubias and crypts. I keep it in a corner of my back yard so it only...
  12. M

Super shrimp?

Opae Ula shrimp are not really rare, but are known for being very hardy. They are the shrimp that are put in those ecocubes and originally come from the tidal pools of Hawaii. I have no experience with them, but from what I have read they can survive a wide variety of water conditions and are a...
  13. M

Algae ID.

I don't think it is black beard algae. I had something similar on a piece of wood I tried adding to a tank. It grew that fuzz and after around two weeks I just took it out. It smelled awful so I assumed it was just the outer layer of the wood decaying or something. In my experience it rubbed off...
  14. M

Canister Filter... The great unknown (for me)

There are metal mesh prefilters you can buy to protect the shrimp. I see them a lot on ebay and theplantedtank forum. I am not entirely sure if they protect newborn shrimp, but they offer more flow than sponge prefilters. I used cheap ebay air powered sponge filters as prefilters in my shrimp...
  15. M

acrylic tank cracking?

My 90g has some cracks like that along the seams. I got the tank used and it already had the cracks but it has not leaked or failed on me over the 2 years it has been full of water. The cracks on my tank look a lot worse than that too.
  16. M

Dealing with algae on a severely neglected tank

I see some black beard algae, which is pretty hard to remove in my experience. Once you get the tank back on track it should not be a big problem. I don't know what that algae is on the anubias and java ferns though. I have the same problem but have not managed to fix it in my tank.
  17. M

Tank maint.

Are you just having problems getting the siphon started? I sometimes have a hard time with my python, but usually what works is holding about a meters worth of hose in both hands and filling that section with tank water. After that section of hose is filled with water, I put the vacuum end in...
  18. M

Kiddie Pool and Stock Tank Ponds

Least killies are pretty popular and are livebearers so they breed pretty quickly. You could raise those as food and sell them as well. Has anyone bred shrimp or CPOs in outdoor tubs? I have only tried plants outside but did see a lot of mosquito larvae for fish and plenty of algae for shrimp...
  19. M

All my shrimps died.

I meant CO2 dissolved in the tap water. Sometimes there is a lot and if you have plants you will see them start producing a lot of O2 after a water change. As said before could the temps have fluctuated?
  20. M

All my shrimps died.

Maybe excess CO2 levels? Or there might be some contaminate in your water that you cannot test. I have heard about tap water randomly becoming toxic to fish when the water provider changes something in the water or how they treat it. Also if the ph/gh/tds changed a lot that could be a problem...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store