Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. tyella

Black Stuff growing on my plants!!!

Yeah, I agree that on the Java Ferns you've got some spores going on. Leave the Java Fern alone for a while and eventually you'll get babies on the ends of the dying leaves. They'll have "roots" dangling from them (actually not roots, but fibers used for attaching to substrate). Pluck the babies...
  2. tyella

Please help me with lighting

If you're handy, you can wire in some screw in sockets and use screw-in compact fluorescents. The bulbs come with their own ballast and they can be had for a couple of bucks from any hardware store. If you're lucky you can even find some in the 6500K range. I have some 20W bulbs I got at WalMart...
  3. tyella

Help identify this plant, please?

How about this: alternanthera reineckii http://www.tropica.dk/productcard_1.asp?id=023 I have some, and in the right conditions (lots of light and CO2) it grows like gangbusters! When I first got mine, it had been grown emersed but new submersed growth came very quickly. It tends to...
  4. tyella

Grow your own plant bulbs?!

They work extremely well. I say go for it. You can usually find them at your local Mall*Wart or PetChain, if you want to save on shipping. I just realized I have an old pic of my tank with one of those very same bulbs in the back right. I had to take it out because it got too big. Check my...
  5. tyella

Please help me get rid of White stuff around my plant!!

I've been dealing with that also. I seem to have slowed it down by upping the CO2, but I'm also doing 50-75% water changes every few days. I think it might be some form of staghorn, but that's the result of only a little research. I'm guessing that because of the white color, or lack of...
  6. tyella

The Myth of Fossil Fuel

7. tyella

Okay, I'm doing something wrong

I don't know that I'd add ferts if you have only 3 plants in a 55 gallon tank. Your 3 plants will have a hard time consuming the nutrients enough to outcompete the algae. The algae will LOVE the added nutrients - at your present plant stocking rate. The plants might like the CO2, and it won't...
  8. tyella

Walmart lily bulbs

There are two types of bulbs that I've seen at Wal Mart, the larger lotus bulbs and the smaller "hybrid lily" bulbs. My experience is limited to the latter. It sounds like you have the former if the leaves are big and broad.
  9. tyella

Walmart lily bulbs

True indeed, I usually just pinch off the floaters with my stubby thumbnail. You'll have to trim back the flowers also. They flower quite readily and quite often. I had two plants for several months and was pinching off a flower stalk every other day for a bit during the summer.
  10. tyella

diy 20 long/29 gallon stand pictures

Phenomenal! I will use your stand as a template when I make my own. please post more pics when you have them. Tony
  11. tyella

How should I transition into a Planted Aquarium?

Hello MTfan of Webb City! I hope MT means Missouri Tigers! (I know it's Montana, but that's OK). Just saying howdy. I know a few folks from Webb City, fwiw. You're in good hands if RTR is communicating with you. My suggestion would be more light. I haven't done this specifically, but I've...
  12. tyella

Katrina wrath of a higher being?

:joke: I'm waiting for him to condemn Woody for promoting obscene prosthetics
  13. tyella

Hurricane Katrina....Good News

Remarkable! That's great news, sorry about the discus though.
  14. tyella

Katrina wrath of a higher being?

Holy Crap! That guy is out there. Perhaps his few remaining followers will quietly "take him out" into the woods and leave him there... He sure gives Christians a bad name.
  15. tyella

Stupid cartoon cliches

That pterodactyl thing goes back to (at least) one of the old Sinbad movies. I think my fav Jonny Quest even did that, but I don't remember that episode well enough to be sure. As for the Scooby Doo...I agree. It's Hanna Barbara. They DID make Jonny Quest, but they had to get something right...
  16. tyella

Stupid cartoon cliches

Funder, Wightning, ... Smog! .....cough cough... One of the best of all time! It wasn't funny and the animation wasn't great, but the artwork and story lines were fantastic ..... Jonny Quest. The epitome of cool. :cool: (not the new one, but the old one)
  17. tyella

Fund Raiser Ideas?

Zac, I just got back from a Boundary Waters trip a couple of weeks ago. I hope you can muster the cash, because the kids will LOVE it! There were almost no mosquitos when I was there. I got more bites at the drive-in here in old Missouri in one night than I did the whole week I was there. On...
  18. tyella

Blog from inside New Orleans

The company that hosts my website is directnic, located in New Orleans. They've stayed onsite to keep things operational. They have a blog with powerful photos and comments from the inside. They haven't been flooded, but there are fires around them. Read for yourself: http://mgno.com/ or...
  19. tyella

MSNBC seems to care less

A friend of mine saw convoys of utility trucks heading toward New Orleans on Saturday. 2 days before the hurricane hit. Home Depot had 500 employees stationed in hotels outside the area - before the hurricane, waiting to relieve the local employees so that they could tend to their families and...
  20. tyella

MSNBC seems to care less

I read about that....smells like bacon! :eek: Maybe Louisiana senators need to be a better pig farmers so they can harvest more pork. :joke: I agree that rebuilding below sea level is a bit silly. I have the same feeling for those folks that rebuild in the floodplains of our own Missouri...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store