Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. P

Can Someone sex my jags

since no one else has responded to this I'll chime in. Juvenile guapotes are very hard to sex. Under a size of 4 inches male and female jagaurs will show little or no physical differences. You can sometimes pick out males from females in a group of them by there behavior. From your pics they...
  2. P

Jaguars

A 45 gal tank is too small in both physical size and water volume. You can't keep a 14 inch predator like jaguar in a 12 inch wide tank. A 45 gal tank after you add decor, gravel, and fish might have 30 gal of actual water in it. The BARE min I would recommend keeping a male jaguar in is 75...
  3. P

Jaguars

The largest jaguar on record is just over 16 inches in total length. The average size for a jagaur in capitivy is 12 to 14 inches. In there native habitat it is uncommon to see them over 12 inches. I have kept and bred jags for more than 16 years. I have also attended more than 100 shows and...
  4. P

going from a 80 gallon to a 340 gallon??

4,000 GPH would make your turn over rate about 12 times an hour! This is considering you have a full 340 gal of water. Once you add decor, gravel, fish, ect. your lucky if you have 290 gal of actual volume. A good wet/dry should only need a turn over rate between 4 and 6 times an hour. Wet/drys...
  5. P

should i add anything

All I'm going to say is IF that cute little Jagaur is male your in a whole lot of trouble. I can tell you have never see or experienced a fully mature predator guapote like this or you would not have those Feeder cichlids in that tank with him. With a potenial growth rate better than 1 inch per...
  6. P

Fluorescent Bulbs

Yes, they do have a service life. This depending on the quality of the bulb, what type of flourescent bulb and type of ballast is in used. A cheap set up with a cheap bulb will only last about 6 months. A high quality electronic ballast with a research grade bulb will last a year. The higher...
  7. P

what will go with a jaguar in 125G tank

Being a established male in a 125 there is a very good chance he will not tolorate anything. I have also found that most jaguars do not tolorate bottom feeders/catfish well either. I will tell you this. Pike cichlids do not receive punishment well. The pike is outmatched, trust me remove him...
  8. P

what will go with a jaguar in 125G tank

First Off, a jaguar is not good cichlid to attempt a community tank with. I know to you a 125 is a huge tank. But as far as mixing large, predatory, CA cichlid it is the bare minimum. Some questions for you. Is you jag a Male? Do you have previous experience keeping a larger predatory cichlids...
  9. P

Carbon and Salts

For info on carbon Here are two books. Marine Reef Aqarium Hand book by Dr. Robert Goldstein. This Book explains in detail the same thing I said. IT also states that carbon will remove trace elements and can leach everything it's removes back into the water sysem. From this point the reading get...
  10. P

Carbon and Salts

With out going into a chemistry lession activated carbon absorbs certain things by creating a chemical chain for them to cling to. Depending on what the carbon has taken in or how much this chain can be broken, thus re-releasing it back into the water system. Active carbon has a life span. Also...
  11. P

Carbon and Salts

Once salt is mixed fully with the water there is no easy way to seperate it. Carbon will absorb any thing that can attach to the carbon chemically. It can also remove some trace elements and other things you might want in your water as well as bad. The bigger problem with carbon is it will also...
  12. P

What do you think? Midas vs. Red Devil???

They are different fish, If they were identical they would have the same name. They are very similer because they are from the some genus. But there are differences. As far as intelligence goes I don't think one has a advantage over the other. I can tell you speeking in general that the midas...
  13. P

What do you think? Midas vs. Red Devil???

If you plan on keeping a pure blood Citrinellum or a cross breed from a LFS then a 55 will be insufficent in both water volume and physical space. A citrinellum male can easily hit 12 inches and some can get as large as 15 inches, mix breeds can also reach these sizes. A standered 55 is only 12...
  14. P

Comparing Cichlid Sizes.

On the cichlid aggression scale. Green terrors you buy at LFS are farm bred and are only semi aggressive at best. Oscars are usually peaceful. I have seen oscars housed the tetras, danios, and small barbs with no problems. An oscar is large and if hungry enough may consume smaller fish at times...
  15. P

Comparing Cichlid Sizes.

At 2 feet it probably was not a jaguar. Jags rarely exceed 14 inch in captivity, and the largest on record to my knowledge is 16.5 inches and was caught in flordia. I have been to alot of cichlid shows and have seen and owned alot of jags. The largest I have ever personally seen was about 15.5...
  16. P

ACA Member

Have been a member ACA for quite sometime. I am also a member of the great lakes cichlid associotaion and the Ohio cichlid society. Both ACA backed clubs. I was a judge for ACA shows and events awhile back. But have been lacking the time to do as much as I would like over the last few years.
  17. P

Comparing Cichlid Sizes.

The biggest I have kept was a 28 inch male dovii. The largest I ever seen in person was at a cichlid show. It was a 33 inch peack bass. The largest oscar I have ever seen was 15 inches.
  18. P

filtration options/opinions for big tanks, big fish...

My overflows do not use up any floor space in the tank. nor is the tank drilled. The bottom of my tank is 3/4 inch thick tempered glass (tank was special ordered through perfecto custom engineering dept.). The overflows hang on the back each box has 2 u tubs and 2 one inch return hoses to the...
  19. P

filtration options/opinions for big tanks, big fish...

On my 265 I run a 3 stage wet/dry rated 200 gallons with twin overflows. I back it up with 2 whisper 3's and a magnum 350 runs 4 hours a day on a timer. The wet/dry is powered by 2 rio 3100 pumps for a est. flow rate of 1200 GPH. The whisper 3 are rated for 300 GPH each. Wet/dry have many...
  20. P

Bio Wheel

There are actually 2 types of bacteria needed to break down waste. Both will culture where the conditions are right. Becasue both bacteria need oxygen they should in thoery colonize better out of the water like a wet/dry or bio wheels. If you think there is a problem Just test the water. If you...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store