Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. ScottoMacD

BBA - has anyone ever successfully eradicated it?

Rosey Barbs About 15 years ago I read and article about ways of keeping Black Beard in check. Depending on the size of your tank and it's inhabitants you can go with Rosey Barbs. They feast on the Black Beard like it is going out of style. I like going with the females because they tend to not...
  2. ScottoMacD

Baby tiger tiger Oscar not eating his pellets.

Feeding The big thing with feeding oscars ( and most cichlids in general) is to keep the diet as varied as possible. When it comes to pellets. I keep an old one gallon ice cream bucket with at least 4 (usually more) different brands of pellets mixed inside. I just buy a different brand or two...
  3. ScottoMacD

Fish ID please...

Looks like it could be a young Blue Acara (Aequidens pulcher) Hard to tell for sure with the picture however.
  4. ScottoMacD

Name that one fish that you totally regret getting...

I'm not fishndude, but that is a Severum in his avatar. Sorry for butting in. Biggest regret a very nasty Tilapia buttekoferi. Just wasn't the time to have him. Major havoc caused.
  5. ScottoMacD

Stupidest thing I've seen in a while...

unfortunately these things will sell Ignorance is bliss. Think of the percentage of people that go out and buy these things for themselves or as gifts for kids or friends because they just don't know. All along thinking they are doing something nice. Remember aquababies? Those bloody things...
  6. ScottoMacD

What Works for Me May Not Work for You

For some reason I cannot edit my thread. I would just like to add on the melafix pimafix rant that mercurochrome with a qtip and a little vasoline on a medium or large fish does a much better job than both of those products if the fish has a cut on it. Just remember not to get it anywhere near...
  7. ScottoMacD

What Works for Me May Not Work for You

Me. I wash filter media in the sink until it is sparkling clean. (tanks are old and all have multiple filters. Bacteria is not an issue) I rarely do water changes. If the tank starts turn color from crud then it gets one. (I don't lose fish and they live a very long time.) I only feed 2 times...
  8. ScottoMacD

Stangest food your fish would eat? ..and what species was it?

My Crenicichla Cincta will eat pepperoni, but only if it come off of a cooked pizza. I have tried freshly cut pepperoni and it won't go near it. Pull a piece off a pizza and bam. I wonder if it has to do with the smell of the sauce???
  9. ScottoMacD

does dechlorinator expire?

Prime does not us Sodium Thiosulfate. It uses Sodium Hydroxymethane Sulfinate. Or a derivative of that chem. Sodium Thiosulfate only works to completely decholr water that uses Chlorine only. Any place that uses Chloramines should be using a product with Sodium Hydroxymethane Sulfinate. Like...
  10. ScottoMacD

Does Ehiem make good heaters? I need input on this one.

Heaters I use to really like the Jagers. I have had a couple of old green ones for years. (you need a penny to change the temp setting) Then Jager got bought by Eheim and I found the new models just not the same. They just seemed not to be as good or reliable as the older ones. The old ones...
  11. ScottoMacD

Cardinal Tetra Dilemma

wild vs. tank raised I am with the "go for wild" bunch. If the years working for Big Al's taught me anything about the fish business it's that...... The wild caught fish always do better than the tank raised. Cardinals were especially bad. Wild caught the loss was minimal 10 -15% loss. The...
  12. ScottoMacD

impossible to breed...

They are Trigonostigma hengeli (Hengel's Rasbora) They look quite a bit like the harlequins but with a different color pattern.
  13. ScottoMacD

impossible to breed...

I have never gotten Cherry Barbs to breed. Checkerboards no problem, other large barbs. Good to go. I have tried so many times with the cherries. No luck. I have 6 in a 20 long right now. 4 Females 2 Males ideal conditions, java moss the whole nine yards. 5 months . Nothing. The other one...
  14. ScottoMacD

algae eater ID help

CAE's They are famous for attaching themselves to flat shaped fish and leaving little love bites. They are not afraid of anything. Tough nasty little buggers.
  15. ScottoMacD

What's with all the PM Spammers?

I'm getting them as well Good thing these people are there to tell me that my Windows has 9 billion trojans and they will help me remove them. Wow. I am really glad for the help I could only imagine what my Windows would be like if I didn't get rid of them..... Oh wait. I'm running Linux. I...
  16. ScottoMacD

What is the most BELLIGERENT fish you've every owned?

My 6" Buttikoferi (butt-kicker) ate the egg crate that I had splitting the tank to get at and kill my 7" Mayan Cichlid (urophthalmus) He was one belligerent SOB. Right now though my crenicichla cincta (about 12-14") is easily the master of his domain. He rules the 220 gallon and doesn't take...
  17. ScottoMacD

Whats a Popular FW Fish that I can sell?!

I sold fish locally for about 6-7 years. At one point I was supply most of the local fish stores on the island of Montreal with Green and Gold Severums, Sajicas, and Archocentrus spilurus. The spilrus was my big seller. For one at the time they were hard to find and two because they aren't...
  18. ScottoMacD

Anyone tried this stocking calculator? Your thoughts on this?

I have to agree with Bob. As usual he has hit the nail on the head. There are so many variables when it comes to fish keeping that any program that is designed would have to be so complex with so many options that it wouldn't make sense to use. I have keep stuff together for years that aren't...
  19. ScottoMacD

Mystery Cichlid

I have to agree with the Uaru. I saw the picture and that was the first thing to jump to mind. Anymore pictures. Uaru's tend to need pristine water or they don't do to well. They also like water very similar to discus. They also like to chomp on live plants. They are a very peaceful fish. A...
  20. ScottoMacD

Looks like a male JD,no?

While a certainly not in dis-agreement with anyone. The only true way to tell is to vent the fish. That is the only way to sex any cichlid with some sort of high accuracy. Going by finnage can be deceiving some times. That includes some very heated debates by people who claimed to be so...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store