Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. Chuck H.

My plan for a new FW planted aquarium, please critique

Here's an updated video I took this afternoon. I've added a male Blue Dwarf Gourami and he's doing great with the rest of the fish. Very active and a lot of personality. If I come across a female I'll consider getting one, or maybe a red Dwarf Gourami female to have some color variety. Here ya...
  2. Chuck H.

Thanks for all of the replies and advice! Tank is doing great so far. I haven't added anything new since before Christmas. To recap my fish stocking, I have: 2 Keyhole Cichlids (2 males I think - tussle with one another every now and then, but no damage) 3 Pairs of Black Phantom Tetras (very fun...
  3. Chuck H.

New Video Another brief video taken this evening: Dn53VkiVw3Y Added 2 Keyhole Cichlids, 6 Green Cory's and 1 ABN.
  4. Chuck H.

Driftwood concern and a few pics... Thanks for the replies! My background is black, however I think the tint of the water and the other lights in the room are making it difficult to see in photos. I noticed yesterday a film of slime or perhaps some type of fungus on the top of the driftwood...
  5. Chuck H.

And a real quick video... I took this with my iPod Nano...decent enough, tons of other lights to terrariums in the room however. Jw45JY5DiRI
  6. Chuck H.

Okay...after some additional soaking of driftwood (turned water the prettiest brown!) a couple 50% water changes about a week ago...I decided today was the day to add some plants and a small school of tetras. A large LFS in my area had a buy 5 get 50% off all plants today, so I got: 4 bunches...
  7. Chuck H.

Quick video of my Nanocube...

Sure! Lighting is a Nova Extreme Pro 20" 6 x 18w T5 fixture with, from front to back, Actinic Blue (dusk/dawn), 12 k daylight, Actinic Blue, 12 k daylight, Actinic Purple (dusk/dawn), Actinic Blue - all True Lumen bulbs. Skimmer is an AquaMaxx HOB - the best for this tank I've used so far...
  8. Chuck H.

Shamrok, my Undulated Triggerfish, eating a silverside...

<br /> <br /> Just 2 Blue Devils...added as dithers to try to increase his activity. It seems to have worked and they are doing a good job of evading his advances.
  9. Chuck H.

It's a 28 gallon Nanocube. I've had the Pygmy for about 3 years. My research prior to getting him was that they were in general reef safe with the occasional specimen being a nipper. I've never had a problem - both clams in there over 1.5 years and no problems nipping coral.
  10. Chuck H.

Thanks!
  11. Chuck H.

:clap: EakP0sInSk0?rel
  12. Chuck H.

Thanks! I love him/her. Took a few years to get some personality, very shy when small. Now he's very interactive when I spend some time in front of the tank.
  13. Chuck H.

Resurrected my YouTube account so I could embed the video for easier access... Tu8kK7YtVy8?rel
  14. Chuck H.

Been posting a bit in the FW section lately (since I haven't had a FW aquarium in about 20 years!) so figured I'd share some of my marine aquariums. First up is my boy Shamrok - going on about 4 years old. He's eating a silverside being held by a lettuce clip - my hand is in and out so as not to...
  15. Chuck H.

The FW Aquarium "tap water use paradigm" or - is mine safe to use?

Tap water use is a big no-no for those with reef aquariums...0 TDS is the mantra. My tap water measures 300 or so! I've read several threads and replies to my own posts that discuss what seems to me to be the common and accepted use of tap water in FW aquariums. I just filled my 36 Bowfront...
  16. Chuck H.

Thanks for the replies...especially regarding pH! Back in the day - 20 years or so ago - neutral, 7.0 water, was the way to go and acidic water was reserved for breeding Discus! I'll let it be per the last two suggestions. I'm going to get some hardy, low-light plants at first - maybe this...
  17. Chuck H.

Thanks for all of the replies...I forgot to mention I ditched the play sand because it was taking forever to rinse and even after doing so for 10 minutes there were white clumps everywhere that had the consistency of caulk or paste when I picked them up...probably just real fine sand but I...
  18. Chuck H.

Thanks for the information on Dojo's nahrie, I'm not a big fan of them anyway - they would have been my 11 year old's contribution to the stock list! I'll have to come up with something different for him. Got some water in the bad boy today, here's some pics: Just 40lbs of sand and a...
  19. Chuck H.

New Aquarium sand substrate prep?

I'm going to go with a 50lb bag of play sand for the substrate in my 36 bowfront. Besides a thorough rinsing, is there anything else I need to do to prep this substrate for some low light plants? Thanks!
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store