Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. K

Check out this cold marine reef tank

That star is spectacular.
  2. K

Wiring a relay

LOOK at the relay. They are one of the few electrical deices that reveal themselves totally just by visual examination. One contact is common. One is normally open(relay unpowered). One is normally closed. The coil is just, The Coil. Power across it and the common contact will change which...
  3. K

So I learned my office is relocating.

ToeJam; Tacoma/Seattle,WA has to have a huge aquarium club/group! What else is one to do there while hiding in the winter and waiting for Mt Adams to take everything out the rest of the time. LoL. Hook up with that group and you can probably pull the whole thing off in a friendly group...
  4. K

Do I need a new pump?

You need to look up the specs for your pump. All pump specs will state how much water the pump can lift to a certain height. See what yours will do. In Aquarium Land there are two varieties called flow or pressure pumps. Flow pumps will move huge amounts of water for example, 4,000gph...
  5. K

netting material for aquarium top

Egg crate does block a lot of light. Many percent of what you are paying to produce.
  6. K

Would you guys help with my design

Excellent point redfishblewfish!
  7. K

Wave Making

I've never done it. But if the control alternates the the timing on multiple outputs then opposite sides would be in order.
  8. K

Now with added sunpower

WARNING WARNING! Sudden large increases in lighting can often cause great stress, bleaching, and even death of many corals. It would be better to raise that light up to the point where it's about the same brightness as it was before. Then lower it slowly over about two weeks. Barring that...
  9. K

Would you guys help with my design

Pretty complex. I don't see any blunders. Good pump design precludes any sharp turn within 4 pipe diameters of the pump suction port.
  10. K

Glass or Plexyglass top?

Ace I'd expect eggcrate to be quite restrictive. More so than any glass or acrylic so your test agrees with my expectation. That wouldn't be the same for a fine but open net. Thanks for the info.
  11. K

Glass or Plexyglass top?

Acrylic sucks up water like a sponge. This causes it to swell up. If you put a tight piece of plexy into a glass sump as a divider it can break the sump as it swells over the next few days. The side facing the tank will absorb more moisture than the side way from the tank. What happens is...
  12. K

150g build from start to finish

I wouldn't bother removing that stuff on the overflow. It will make a fine base for whatever else wants to cover it up.
  13. K

new tank from Dubai - UAE

Nice! What size tank?
  14. K

Brackish tank build: F8s, gobies, and more

As much as I despise hex tanks... Your's looks really nice!
  15. K

Commuter Tang.

It's a passage from one tank to another. A siphon... Um.. Take a small piece of clear hose. Lay it in a pan of water. Once it's filled with water stand it up keeping both ends in the water. It stays full of water because to empty it, it would have to have air admitted to it. I made large...
  16. K

Commuter Tang.

I have siphon jumps between a few tanks. I just took one out to clean it. They are rather a chore to clean. Chore enough that I do them about once every half decade. This time I went berserk and spent an hour cleaning one. When it was done you could actually see thru it!! How novel!! I told...
  17. K

water restriction question

Bigger is better.. Unless you have space routing hassles. Water thru plumbing can and does speed up and slow down wherever it needs to dictated by the pressures and flow. The way this pump works is it speeds the water up to insane levels in and around it. The water would slow down from...
  18. K

Eheim 1250 question

Yep. Your drain is supposed to be set up so water only leaves your tank to the sump when the water in the tank exceed a certain height. It can only get to that height by the water being pumped up from the sump. If it stops being pumped up the drain stops draining. Think of it as one of those...
  19. K

Eheim 1250 question

Thanks for that pic cheech. You're right that one area may not overflow the tank if the sizes are matched. But it doesn't change the fact that the pump really won't run dry as the galloping water will keep the bearings wet and cool enough.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store