Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. TheMightyQueenPixie

Betta obsessing over algae sinking wafers. Why?

Kyohti I am loving you more by the minute lol! Bettas are pure insectivores. Feeding veggie matter (real veggies, not algae wafers which are mostly not veggie) can do more harm then good. The best cure is always the best prevention. Feeding a high end, highly digestible food is the key...
  2. TheMightyQueenPixie

Betta Setup

You are the first person in all of my years on boards and Betta raising that I can honestly say has it "right". Here, here! Bowls are no big deal as long as they are warm and clean. Dont believe me? Check out my boys. Every one of them raised in a 1/2 gallon bowl. www.baycitybettas.com Some of...
  3. TheMightyQueenPixie

Possible diseased betta... help!

This is the most likely cause of the problems in your tank. Algae on a snail means nothing, however snails poop alot and will contribute to poor water quality in an uncycled tank. It is possible that your betta may just be old, but I am certain that it is external factors beyond just "old...
  4. TheMightyQueenPixie

Betta body/fin rot!!!!

Its a little late in the day to be doing anything now. Do him a favor and put him out of his misery. Fin rot to that degree does not happen over night. That pic is of out and out neglect.
  5. TheMightyQueenPixie

snails life span

Average lifespan of Pomacea Bridgesii is 2-2.5 years. Unfortunately most that arrive at the LFS are well over a year and not in the best of health. Brigs will not eat your healthy live plants, but they will prune decaying branches. I keep 4 or 5 in my heavily planted tank and they dont...
  6. TheMightyQueenPixie

New 3 days fryes

Not sure where you are located but a small box filter is dirt cheap. And no, most fish cannot survive in staganant, low oxygen water.
  7. TheMightyQueenPixie

Goldfish and cichlids

I think the biggest detriment to our hobby is the misconception between surviving and thriving.
  8. TheMightyQueenPixie

how do i know if my snail is dead?

Check your water quality. I dont know what kind of snail you have, but applesnails are very sensitive to poor water quality. They have no tolerance for ammonia or nitrite. If the water is not where it should be, the snail will stay in his shell and eventually die.
  9. TheMightyQueenPixie

Piranha and a buddy????

They are pretty boring fish... Skittish, like to hide and usually end up eyeless or ripping out someone elses eyes. At the end of the day you just KNOW some kid is going to stick their hand in the tank. Perhpas a species best left to adults?
  10. TheMightyQueenPixie

Did I dose "Melafix" right with this Betta problem?

Melafix is a very weak med, actually im not even sure if you can call it a "med". Get some Kanamycin ASAP. It is the "silver bullet" of fish meds IMO Keep the water pristine clean and dose as recommended. The longer you wait, the less of a chance of a full recovery.
  11. TheMightyQueenPixie

My snails aren't active even at night. Concern?

When in doubt, smell them. If they are dead you will wish you were dead. They smell so bad!
  12. TheMightyQueenPixie

they called it "NEW" ZEBRA PLECO

If it is a pleco it should have an L# no?
  13. TheMightyQueenPixie

Cross Species Relationships

You took the words right out of my mouth LOL!
  14. TheMightyQueenPixie

Question on MTS Snails

I have a TON of MTS and rather enjoy them. Their population will keep constant with the food supply less food=less of a population. They are great little guys and dont harm your plants. There has to be atleast 1000 of them in my planted tank and they do a wonderful job keeping things clean...
  15. TheMightyQueenPixie

My first aquarium (picture)

Rock is way too big and out of scale. Are you raising rocks or fish??? As aforementioned- more water volume makes for a more stable tank.
  16. TheMightyQueenPixie

Cross Species Relationships

Guppys just dont care. Those little guys are so randy they will try it with anything including other males.
  17. TheMightyQueenPixie

Snail Egg Advice....

Snail embryos of the Pomacea family cannot survive a waste-water treatment. I do agree with not letting non-indigenous critters loose, but these guys will never survive. If there was a snowballs chance in hell that they would I would NEVER flush them. The mechanical/chemical stages that water...
  18. TheMightyQueenPixie

Snail Egg Advice....

I flush em. The embryos drown.
  19. TheMightyQueenPixie

Betta Seizure after Bloodworms?

Yes they can. It would be like you trying to eat dried oatmeal. It would suck up all the water in your digestive tract and be a rather uncomfortable "event".
  20. TheMightyQueenPixie

Thinking of starting my own aquarium maintenence gig...

I dont think it is a bad idea, but id let the customer stock the tank. I wouldnt touch stocking with a 10 foot algae scraper UNLESS I raised the stock...SO MANY nasty diseases out there. Speaking of which, you are going to have to maintain RIGOROUS sterilzation techniqes to prevent the...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store