Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. G

Quarantine tank

Thanks guys :)
  2. G

Quarantine tank

I have a 15 gallon tank which I have been using as a quarantine tank for the last 4 weeks or so, until today. I had 2 danios in quarantine, one with mouth fungus and another with a mystery disease that may have been lymphocystis, which attacked the gills and mouth, so it was not able to feed...
  3. G

What the heck is happening?

Have you tested the water for nitrites or ammonia levels? You could do a partial water change to help clear the cloudiness, but make sure you add water treatment, to get rid of chlorine etc.
  4. G

fungal infections

I wrote a while ago about one of my pearl danios having strange white bits where the pectoral fins meet the body. I watched it very carefully for about a week and it didn't change. Then one morning the danio had a red spot on its chin and I got worried, so I went out and bought a small 15 litre...
  5. G

I don't think its Ich!

Well its at least 24 hours later and the condition is the same. There are no more white spots on the danio, just the 2 on the pectoral fins. The white 'balls' seem to be unchanged. The danio seems to be quite happy and behaving normally. If it was ich would there be other symptoms by now?
  6. G

I don't think its Ich!

The 'ball' just seems to be sitting there above the fin. Its not fuzzy at all, its very smooth and bright white, not grey or yellow. The danio has always been in the same tank, which is 60 litres. I had just finished doing a general clean up of the tank, cleaning the gravel, filter, etc when...
  7. G

I don't think its Ich!

I have a pearl danio which is about a year old. I have just noticed a very recent development on both of the pectoral fins where they meet the body. There is a slight swelling of the area just above each fin with quite a large white ball stuck to it. It looks too large for Ich and it seems...
  8. G

fluval filter for 13g tank?

Ok, I'll give it a try. I just needed a bit of reassurance. Thanks again. :)
  9. G

Thanks guys! What's the best way to do a changeover to the new filter? Should I put the sponge from the new filter in the tank for a few days to 'prime' it? Would that be enough? Or should I have both filters running at the same time for a while?
  10. G

I have a 60 litre tank which has been set up for about 9 months now. I bought it as a 'kit' with the tank and accessories included. It has been working fine and I have been very happy with it. Just recently the Rena Filstar filter which came with the tank started to run with a very noisy hum. I...
  11. G

snails

When I bought some plants for my tank, they arrived with resident snails too. They seemed to multiply very rapidly for about a week, until there was a long line of them just above the water line at the top of the tank. I removed as many as I could catch, (not easy at all) but I couldn't bear to...
  12. G

Water conditioners

Now I'm confused again :confused: Is Stress Coat good or bad? I had the same reaction as Anaxus about finding something without 'stress coat' in it. I got some Nutrafin Aqua Plus and am now using it, but wonder whether it is significantly different than the Stress Coat I started with...
  13. G

Water conditioners

Well, I got some Nutrafin Aqua Plus, but I was a bit puzzled about the difference between the Stress Coat treatment and Aqua Plus. I spent about an hour in my LFS looking at all the bottles of dechlorinaters (my head was spinning after!) and most, if not all of them contain aloe. This is a bit...
  14. G

Fish size vs. Tank size

Can I just ask - How do you know how much room the fish need? There is a lot of conflicting advice out there. My tank holds about 13 gallons and the information I got from lots of different sources, all said that my tank would comfortably hold 12 fish of about 5cm. I actually have 11 fish...
  15. G

Fish size vs. Tank size

Can I just ask - How do you know how much room the fish need? There is a lot of conflicting advice out there. My tank holds about 13 gallons and the information I got from lots of different sources, all said that my tank would comfortably hold 12 fish of about 5cm. I actually have 11 fish...
  16. G

Is the water too warm?

The weather has cooled down a bit now, so much for our heatwave! The temp in the tank is now down to 29 degrees on average. None of the fish seem to be bothered, so perhaps I was worrying too much. I did try to cool the water by putting a plastic bottle with the lid tight in the tank, filled...
  17. G

Is the water too warm?

I don't know if I like the idea of opening the aquarium lid. I have danios in my tank - don't they have a reputation for jumping out of the tank? :eek: Also, I have a cat who might find the tank suddenly very interesting :eek: :eek: I did try turning the tank light off thinking it was...
  18. G

Is the water too warm?

We're having a bit of a heatwave here in the UK at the moment! My tank water has gone up to 30 degrees. Is this too warm for tetras, danios and ottos? If so, what is the best way to cool the water down? :confused:
  19. G

what about plant roots?

The anubias nana is next to a rock, but not tied to it. Why does it need to be tied to a rock? It's not doing very much, but it has grown quite a few new leaves since I put it in the tank. I think it is a slow grower though.
  20. G

5 gal. aquarium

What about a couple of otos? They're small, they're fun to watch and they help to keep the algae down. I think mine are great!! :)
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store