Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. C

Need guidance

According to Tom Griffin : "Unfortunately, neither the originally named two types, nor the most likely current candidates (edit: referring to the previously thought forms of nitrifying bacteria vs the ones they are now claiming) have a spore form, so in practice both types must be obtained...
  2. C

Need guidance

Yes, of course it is slowed down to a large degree, thank you for reiterating my point because it is important for beginners to understand this concept. :) I'm not talking about exponential growth here. The statement that was made was that nitrifying bacteria will die off in extreme bioload...
  3. C

Need guidance

Yes, of course. The ammonia will always be processed into nitrIte. Such goes the nitrogen cycle, and it is the one true constant. Indeed it will slow to almost a standstill as it struggles to take up the additional bioload, but it will not be killed off altogether by even the highest...
  4. C

Need guidance

LOL ! So, according to your line of thinking, if I boiled everything I chose to add to my tank, and disinfected it completely with bleach beforehand to rid it of all of its external bacteria, and then added an ammonia source to an aquarium full of sterile, distilled water afterward, that I...
  5. C

Need guidance

Hi, tsmckee ! Your idea of buying an Eheim is a good one. Overall, the Eheim filter is one of the best that you can buy, one of the best on maintenance, and also the most efficient. Well worth the cost. If you go with the Eheim, you probably won't need additional filtration, unless you...
  6. C

Need guidance

tsmkee, Excellent ! You are doing the right thing by asking the important questions BEFORE you start. That puts you ahead of the game ! As for your filtration, you could easily do an AquaClear 500. IMO, AquaClears are the very best product on the market and also the most reasonably...
  7. C

Cichlid question

Depends. What kind of cichlids are you talking about here ?
  8. C

10gal

Hi, Aquaman ! While a 10g is small, you still have lots of choices. If you like cichlids, you can put a male and female German ram in there. If not, you can even do a small school of tetras and a couple of corys. I would stick to the 1 to 1 1/2 inch range ... the quantity depends on the...
  9. C

fin rot

OK, let's back up. :) Fin rot is not a fungal infection ... it is bacterial in nature ! Fungal and bacterial diseases are two separate entities. The reason why the fungal medication worked was because it might have wiped out a "secondary" fungal infection, but fungal medications are wholly...
  10. C

Tank is cycled

Hi, Cartman ! To survive, nitrifying bacteria need a constant source of oxygen and nutrients. Without them, you will experience a bacterial die-off and be faced with a cycle, or at the very least, a mini-cycle, when you add your fish. Yes, fish food will work, but to a much smaller degree...
  11. C

ph problem

Hi, Cartman ! I myself use crushed coral as Wetman has suggested, just keep in mind that depending on the size of the tank you are trying to boost, it will take only a small amount to raise the pH to the level you are striving for. Crushed coral can usually be found in the substrate area of...
  12. C

Fish size vs. Tank size

This reminds me of the "one gallon per inch" rule that we try so hard to negate, and never seems to go away. If this is so, can one expect to put a 10-inch Oscar in a 10g tank ? Never ! The answer to this and so many questions about providing the most optimal environment for your fish...
  13. C

Fish size vs. Tank size

This reminds me of the "one gallon per inch" rule that we try so hard to negate, and never seems to go away. If this is so, can one expect to put a 10-inch Oscar in a 10g tank ? Never ! The answer to this and so many questions about providing the most optimal environment for your fish...
  14. C

Feeding question

A healthy fish will not allow itself to starve. If there is food being given at regular intervals it will eat remnants from the bottom if need be. Are you sure your fish is not sick ? In any case, I agree wholeheartedly with the rest of the statements here. Goldfish are coldwater fish...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store