Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. B

Handful of assorted questions

If you have rock that your worried about it possibly cracking the bottom glass then cover the entire bottom of the tank. That way you don't have to worry about moving rock later and trying to move a small piece of eggcrate with it. I did that with my reef tank and had a good 2 - 3 inch...
  2. B

Complete Wipe advice

It could be. I drained the SW tank wednesday afternoon. So the Seio PH was out of water for 30 hours before I rinsed it off etc. My ehiem return pump was in the sump and was wet until I got it ready to use. There were some barnacle type things on it but real small. I looked the return pump...
  3. B

Complete Wipe advice

I have 2 emporer(sp?) 400s on the tank but only ever really used one at a time. I know my filtration was a bit low which is why I went with the w/d to attempt to boost things. The washer and dryer are upstairs on the first floor. We have a septic tank, so my basement floor is lower then the...
  4. B

Complete Wipe advice

I just checked Nitrite and it came back at 0ppm. The test result strip seems to be missing on my Nitrate test kit, so i doubt I can find those levels. Overall the levels all look ok, unless my test kit is bad. It's a few years old so maybe it's no good. Depressing. I tore down the reef...
  5. B

Complete Wipe advice

Gonna try to answer a bunch of questions from various posts. I had an emporer 400 and a HOT magnum running. The magnum was used as a micron filter. That one was shut off I think. The W/D was just a DIY using plastic storage containers. One was used for a year in the SW tank to hold my...
  6. B

Complete Wipe advice

Ok, I turned on the basement heater and all is good. The gas/carbon monoxide detector is quiet. So I'm thinking that whatever set it off was transient in nature. I checked the PH 7.4 and ammonia 0.
  7. B

Complete Wipe advice

The pleco was alive last night before I added the new gear to the tank. The only thing I added was more water and some of it was RO. The RO was maybe 3 gallons though. The filter pad had been sitting in the basement for quite awhile though. My tanks are down there as well but maybe it picked...
  8. B

Complete Wipe advice

I don't test my water, never have. I'm not saying that this is wise or anything, it's just the way I've managed the tank over the years. I have no pictures. I already buried the fish in the yard. They were too big for a burial at sea. There were no marks on the fish. The clown loaches were...
  9. B

Complete Wipe advice

This is not easy to post and I'm looking for some advice on something. I'm depressed enough about what happened and don't need anyone telling me I'm an idiot. I already know that part. My 130 gal FW tank completely wiped overnight 100% fatality rate. My wife and I have been keeping fish for...
  10. B

Hardness help and Ammonia

Ok good news. I let the water sit for 24 hours and the PH was 7.6 just like the tank. Is it a problem if i add the water directly to the tank, as long as I don't do massive water changes? There's a fair amount of particulate matter in the water column as well. I've added an additional...
  11. B

FWIW, i just did a nitrate, NO3, test using a seachem kit I have. It reads about 2 mg/L. So I have ammonia, a little nitrate, and no nitrite. Hmmm, I'm sure this means something. Time to read on cycles. Make sure what I remember is right. Amm ->nitrite -> nitrate.
  12. B

So tap GH was 2 degrees and KH was 5 degrees. The tank was GH 4 degrees and KH 5 degrees. I can kinda explain this though. The tank is in the basement and it's heated. the tank will lose about an inch of water in a week to evaporation. It does have a glass lid. My open top SW tank will lose...
  13. B

Reading from the tap. I took the water from where I've been filling that tank from. It's before the expansion tank, so it's pretty much straight from the well. The water temp is about 58 degrees F and i did not aerate it or anything else.: PH is about 8.4 CO2 is maybe 2 PPM. probably less...
  14. B

135 G plant options and sundry questions

Did a water test for the first time. Parts of it are posted in the general forum since i had questions. PH is 7.6, GH 4 degrees, KH 5 degrees, NO2 0, NH4 .25 ppm and NH3 about .005 ppm, CO2 5 PPM. I haven't tested iron yet. based on this i should expect slow plant growth since my CO2...
  15. B

Redsea liquid test kits. I will test my tap water, on a well, and get those results. Substrate is sand. It's been in the tank for over 8 months. I have been slowly removing it. It used to be 3+ inches deep but i kept have problem with hydrogen sulfide. I'm down to under an inch now i...
  16. B

Hi, I've been bad and never tested my FW tank that's been running in it's current form for over 4 years. So I did some testing today and am curious about the results. It's 130 gallon tank BTW. My GH was 4 degrees but KH was 5 degrees. Is this possible? I thought KH was a subset of GH...
  17. B

Thanks for the input MG. The Pleco was in my wife's tank before we met over 15 years ago. It was less then a couple inches back then. So we've had it a long time. It survived the massive icestorm that hit maine back in 97, along with just a few other fish. They were in a tank with no heat...
  18. B

Water Changes

Here's an option if you can find the fittings. I use 1/4 hose that feeds my R/O filter. You should be able to find 1/4 tubing. All you need is the fitting to connect it to the water supply. I have one that attaches to a hose faucet. So when I need to add water to the 130 I disconnect the...
  19. B

To kinda pick up where I left off with my pleco thread. I have either a 130 or 135 gal tank, 6 ft long and about 18 wide, probably close to 24 inches deep. It's an older mirror back that I bought used years ago. Real thick glass and no center bracing at all. I have 1 corallife CF...
  20. B

Plants with large Pleco

You know, that's part of my problem. My aquascaping isn't too friendly for the pleco. i remember when it lived in a little cave made out of slate propped in a corner. That was when it was 2 inches long 14 years ago. Been thinking about a strawberry pot. Those are large and have alot of hole...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store