Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. jemanser

Nutrient Dosage

Recommendations by Tom Barr are simple cook book instructions for fert dosing in high and low tech aquariums- these guidelines are readily available. Your plants are easy growers so dosing ferts light with good water changes weekly( since you are using a liquid carbon source) should serve...
  2. jemanser

Help ID these plants please!

Bacopa (Bacopa caroliniana) is my best guess
  3. jemanser

help my light stopped working

To contain cost you may do better on the internet than a LFS but check around- good luck
  4. jemanser

Rubberlip plecos and Madagascar lace

Has anyone had problems with rubberlip pleco inadvertently damaging their Madagascar lace. I have only occasionally seen my pleco on this plant which I got a few weeks ago. The established leaves ( when shipped)are a little tattered but new leaves are sprouting up nicely. Not sure if the...
  5. jemanser

help my light stopped working

You are in the same position I was in recently. The power CFL are going the way of the dinosaurs. They are extremely expensive to replace, they run hot, their light spectrum decays over several months and they are energy inefficient. The best advice and most cost effective is to replace the...
  6. jemanser

CFL light choices

Sorry I'm getting back so late but is a 48 inch .5W HI Lumen LED hood to much light for a low tech 55G- plants are from low to medium range for light requirements ( Sag dwarf subulata java, amazon swords, crypts, aponogetons, melonsword ,Madagascar lace, S repens. Can't tell if your are...
  7. jemanser

Alright so I'm going through the gear I got from the guy on Craigslist

One mans junk is another mans treasure- good luck... I think you got a great deal... maybe you can make money doing this!
  8. jemanser

Tanks Redo Questions

I think your lighting would be fine- here is a nice summary of lighting with regards to aquarium plants - easy to read and very informative: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=105774
  9. jemanser

Phosphates and Brown Algae

I had diatom( brown algae) in my established FW planted tank recently that has been resurrected( cleaning it up and adding in plants and more fish), after I started to put in trace/micro-nutrients and increase lighting. It grew more on the gravel/plants closest to the window in the room(...
  10. jemanser

CFL light choices

On the web site I was referred to, another option I saw for my low tech 55g planted aquarium was a 48inch LED hood for ~ 70 dollars. From a cost standpoint it is more but light replacement should not be an issue and use of electricity will be less. Also how do I know if this is too much or...
  11. jemanser

CFL light choices

I looked at the description of the light and it looks perfect for my tank with 2 54watt bulbs,, thanks again
  12. jemanser

CFL light choices

Now that's an eye opener- the 96watt CFls are 23 dollars each- thanks for this advice. I guess I would need one over a 55 gallon- low tech tank- is this too much light ?
  13. jemanser

CFL light choices

Lighting can be complex so bare with me please... the more I read the more confusing it becomes. I understand albeit superfically the importance of light spectrum and K ratings as well as PUR/PAR values. So when a company states they have a 96 Watt 7100K Blue Compact Fluorescent - is there...
  14. jemanser

CFL light choices

Sorry for the confusion but you are correct - I would either be running 96w 6500K day light for 8 hours or 96 w 6500k day light for 4 h and then the 96 w 7100k blue light for another 4 hours or the dual 96 Watt Blue/White Combo/6500K Compact Fluorescent for 8 hours. So having clarified...
  15. jemanser

CFL light choices

My CFL over my 55 gallon are old and need replaced The hood is a JBJ and houses 2 96 w bulbs ( ~ 32 inches long each). I run one at a time( 2 watts/gallon) since I have a low tech tank ( dosing wiith liquid Carbon source). The plants look OK - growing well and with some brown algae on the...
  16. jemanser

Darting flashing new molly addition to a mature tank

That is what I am doing- thank you. I did get a ten gallon and will set it up a QT just to be ready, Correct me but if I do use heat and salt in the QT tank, I do not need to remove the carbon filter( I used my established tanks media/ water to quick cycle this tank) .
  17. jemanser

Darting flashing new molly addition to a mature tank

I have a 55 gallon planted low tech tank up for several years with only a few old fish( bristle-nose pleco, and one oto cat or yea and one very old amano shrimp. The tank has been ignored and its amazing how well things go with little intervention( often better than when I intervene).I did my...
  18. jemanser

100g Freshwater, Coldwater Tank Stocking Help

To tame my outdoor koi, each winter I bring one of them inside and keep it in my 50 gallon tank. The Koi are about 10 inches. I feed them by hand and do a lot of hand contact so that when I place the Koi back in the outdoor pond (-1500 gallons) they are well acclimated to human presence/ touch...
  19. jemanser

Question about equipment

I am thinking of purchasing a JBJ CO2 Regulator with solenoid and a Milwaukee SMS 122 pH meter. They are several years old but am told they work fine, but haven't been used for years. Are these items reliable and has anyone used these items with their present set-up and for how long? Thanks-...
  20. jemanser

Reinecki 'cardinalis'

Very nice, and i assume the rapid growth over the past month corresponds to the DIY CO2 addition. .. thanks for the info and picture
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store