Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. kmail5776

Guppies!!! grrrrr i cant do it!

Strange, I've had pretty good luck with my guppies. From 4 guppies, the pop. exploded into 24. Two of which died from old age at 2 years old. I have too many guppies so I separated the males and females, but I think that was bad for the females (they went into a 5 gal., males stayed in the 10...
  2. kmail5776

she is holding again. . .

I learned from my cichlid club that if you leave the eggs in a breeder net in the tank with the fish, that the fish will actually suck the eggs thru the net. Sorry for your loss.
  3. kmail5776

Why isn't my discus growing?

Thanks for the feedback all. Coler, the blue was 2.5 inches when it went into the 30 gal. tank. Same as the other blue. The other random discus that went into the tank was about 3 inches when he went into the tank. Random discus has now caught up to the blue in growth, as they are both 5...
  4. kmail5776

Why isn't my discus growing?

I have two Blue diamond discus in a 30 gallon which I bought in november of 06. They were both 2.5 inches. Also in the 30 gallon is another random discus which was bought about 6 months ago. One blue diamond is about 6-7 inches, the other, about 5. The random discus has now caught up to him...
  5. kmail5776

mollies, platies, guppies

or better yet, get some bigger cichlids for the 55 gallon, and use your overstocked livebearers as "breeder conditioning" food. yummy
  6. kmail5776

Ph drops over time

driftwood generally leaches tannins which turn the rivers in the amazon basin that nice brown tea color (tannic acid). Over time, and possibly treatment, the tannin leaching decreases to an unnoticeable level. This leaching will drop the pH to below 7. Probably 6, or even 5. plants work by...
  7. kmail5776

High Tap PH but low tank PH

If your tank isn't cycled, high amounts of ammonia, in the form of ammonium, can drive down your pH. Without some sort of buffer, all those nitrogen products ammonia/nitrite/nitrate slowly drive the tank pH down. A smaller tank will show that alot faster than a big one too.
  8. kmail5776

HELP!!!!!!

what's the size of your discus and what's the size of your tank? What does he generally eat?
  9. kmail5776

Tank setup help

I think I boobooed. I got a 20 gallon high tank that needed some silicone to fix up. I used what I thought was aquarium safe silicone (it was free and left over from an earlir project). Anyway, I read the fine print and it had: mildew resistant in the fine fine print. Well, I'm a week into...
  10. kmail5776

Cutting/forming tera cotta pots

I have determined that the cheapest way to decorate my new 30 gal. is with terra cotta pots. I would like to take a few 3" and 4" pots and cut holes/form cave entrances. From what I've read, I need a carbide tool bit. And its recommended that the pot be soaked in warm water frist to help with...
  11. kmail5776

Is this a 29g or a 30g?

lol, I think those dimensions are 36x12x16x20 or 36x12x16x24. Hmm, 36x18, it must be a pretty shallow tank.
  12. kmail5776

300W heater with 30gal?

:iagree: I think a rule of thumb is 5 watts per gallon. Your 300w will cycle on and off more than necessary. Just spend as few bucks more and get what you need for the tank. I don't think you can ever have enough filtration, but you can definitely go overboard with heat.
  13. kmail5776

Having filtration issues with bio-wheel filters

I have several biowheels, some old 110s, a 125, a 150 and a 200. I've never had much problems. A 110 is currently running on my 10 gal. and it fortunately or unfortunately has MTS (like an STD, except for tanks). The wheel will stop spinning because every now and then, a snail gets into...
  14. kmail5776

What brand heater to choose???

Penn Plax HOB heaters yeah!!:headbang2: :headbang2: :headbang2: I have a 100 and a 75 Watt running my 30gal. Discus tank. Personally, for me, the way to go was heater control loop. I have a 3 wire RTD in a Biowheel 125 to sense temp. The signal goes to a box I built that controls both...
  15. kmail5776

Is this a 29g or a 30g?

I thought the 29g, the 30g, and 20 long all have the same footprint.
  16. kmail5776

What to Use for Fishless Cycle Ammonia Source?

pee in your fish tank. j/k. As for ammonia hydroxide, as long as your water is hard, it shouldn't matter, your water will buffer the hydroxide ions. Soft water could be bad. I used ammonia from wal mart with no problems. I even seeded the tank with a sponge left in another 10 gal. for a...
  17. kmail5776

water conditioner in new planted tank?

u need to use water conditioner anytime you do pwcs
  18. kmail5776

When fishless cycling is done...

In theory, yes. Once your Ammo and Nitrites are 0 after 24 hrs. of adding 5 ppm ammonia, do a large water change, like 99%, (prime treated of coures) and add fish. If you wait, you risk starving the ammo nitrifying bacteria, and you were better off doing a fishy cycle anyway.
  19. kmail5776

Heater Question

Yes, lower wattage heaters could do it (only a 4 to 5 degree increase), but during the colder months, they'll probably struggle. Why not lower your AC usage, turn the temp on the AC up to 79? You'll be doing the world a favor by cutting down on total power consumption. Another alternative...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store