Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. joephys

cycling with raw shrimp

Corax, it takes maybe a week longer, not that much time, and cycling a tank is never wasted time. No one ever argued against fishless cycling. All that was said was that fishy cycling is an option. I am sure you aren't perfect in every way since on one is. If someone where to speak like...
  2. joephys

cycling with raw shrimp

Its seems to me that Corax did more flaming than silverado. He has never heard of the shrimp method and actually asked about it, he then sounded skeptical. Personally I would be too. On the surface of things, it dosn't sound like a good idea to me either. I would want more than one person...
  3. joephys

what's timer should I buy?

Do yourself a favor, and don't buy one that blocks the other outlet.
  4. joephys

re : newbie w/ livebearers help me!

Live bearers are the one type of fish that I consistantly see in the fish store that are sick. Did you make sure you got a good one, or did you just have them net one. When I have gotten live bearers, I am very picky and only will accept specific fish. Fish do sleep. They usually sleep at...
  5. joephys

Total species wipeout

Don't underestimate the ability of a fish to eat another fish almost the same size.
  6. joephys

water changes how often? and how much

Topping off the tank isn't the same as a water change. Only the water evaporates. All the other stuff in the water stays there and is just building up. You actually have to remove the water from the tank to get it out.
  7. joephys

Anyone know a good quote?

Aquariums are like women. You love to look at them, but sometimes you just can't figure out what's going on inside. I'll probably get some grumbles for that one. I probably wouldn't use it for school either.
  8. joephys

Post your otos

9. joephys

Stunted growth in fish

I don't know of any scientific paper, but I think its pretty much proven if you consider gold fish. Most don't live for very long because they are kept in small tank. When kept in large tanks, they can live for 20 years. Personally I consider a shortened lifespan harmful. I know that isn't...
  10. joephys

CO2 Question

They do put out more light than regular bulbs. I missed that they were CF.
  11. joephys

don't laugh... (gravel vac)

If you loop the tubing, you can see see when the water gets to the bottom of the tubing. Stop sucking, and keep the end of the hose above the water level until you put it over the bucket. You shouldn't get water in your mouth that way.
  12. joephys

Cleaning used tank equip.

probably wouldn't hurt since you know that the previous ower smoked. Since it is a small tank, I would probably do it.
  13. joephys

Eating Aquarium Plants?

Don't know about rubber nose, but bushy nose are known for being a good algae eater that won't destroy plants.
  14. joephys

don't laugh... (gravel vac)

Its more about the height of the siphon hose opening to the top of the water level in the tank. Sorry to be picky, its just one of my things.
  15. joephys

Cleaning used tank equip.

Clean it with some chlorine bleach and rinse it a few times untill you can't smell the bleach. If you want to be sure its safe, soak it in a bucket with a high dose of dechlorinator after the rinses. I would replace the bio-wheel. You don't know how much smoke toxins are in it. The filter...
  16. joephys

Python

It depends. For emptying the tank, the python creates suction by the water running past the end of the hose. If you use the sink below the level of the tank, you will drain it faster than a sink on the same level since gravity will be helping. Using the sink above it, will cause a slower...
  17. joephys

Fish Tycoon

Its still not working for me. It installs, but doesn't open.
  18. joephys

snail question...

When some of the snails get bigger, the population will stop growing. I thought I was getting over run with snails too, but I have seen less now that I have a few larger ones. Don't do a tear down, they will probably still show up again anyway, since there are probably new eggs on the plants...
  19. joephys

Water flow rate through pipes

I did work with area, where was it that you didn't see that? A=pi * (.0833/2)^2 =.00545 square feet thats the area of the pipe opening. As far as the pump being able to have the same flow rate, yes I agree, that the pump might not be able to push 300 GPH through a 1 inch pipe. How...
  20. joephys

What to put with Ploppy

No offense, but just because your friend is a fish breeder, and has worked in an aquarium doesn't mean he knows or does what is best. There are all sorts of unqualified people working in all number of jobs.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store