Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. D

Help Please!

I've never experimented with the photo periods and feeding times. My lights are on from 4pm to 12pm and everything is thriving. I lightly feed every day. I can't judge how long you should wait between water changes, but try to keep your Nitrates below 20 and if your phosphates start creeping up...
  2. D

Help Please!

If you say it's brown looking, it's diatoms. It's typical of a new tank syndrome, most people get it within the first few weeks, and other won't get it for a few months. You can usually expect to have a bout with hair algae and cyano at some point down the road. My algae blooms went like this...
  3. D

New SW setup, newbie too

Long time no updates. Original upgrade plans changed due to concerns about weight I had. I managed to get my hands on a free 75g setup. Built a custom stand and have been running the 75g with 4x54 Marineland light, two 420's 1 fiji purple & a 10k daylight. I lost my Tang & Black clown in the...
  4. D

Picking a Bio-Spira fight!!!!!!!!!

I've used Bio-Spira in freshwater before. I forget my ammonia readings, I had no nitrites or nitrates. I added it 10 minutes after I received it, the following morning my tank was fully cycled with something like 10ppm nitrates and it never went through a detectable mini-cycle after that. I...
  5. D

Figure 8 puffer

Figure 8 Puffers should be in Brackish water. Check the Brackish forums to learn how to properly care for them.
  6. D

New SW setup, newbie too

Got a small Duncan frag & sun coral frag. New tank is not that far away....
  7. D

Out of Water

Just to play it safe you should try arranging a way with a small bucket to keep them in water?? I got a 'free' sponge hitch hiker with my cabbage leather and I've had it out of water a handful of times to frag and move it around in the tank. The sponge seems to be okay, but don't take my word...
  8. D

How many WPG would you need for a 29g tank with only soft corals?

I have two of these on top of a 36g corner tank and I've had no issues with my lighting not being strong enough. My LFS said I wouldn't of had a problems with some soft corals with just one fixture, but I went for a second one anyway.
  9. D

HUGE Nitrate Spike!

It's possible they consumed the fish. I know people who purposely keep a ton of crabs and rave about not having to tear apart their rock to get to a lost fish. It's likely it was polluting the tank while they consumed it too, but it's also still possible it's still there. What size tank do...
  10. D

New SW setup, newbie too

Skipped a weeks water change to see what it would do to the tanks parameters. Nitrates made it to around 15ppm, phosphates made it to 5. The Cabbage Leather did not like this at ALL, everything else appears to be just fine. I've done my weekly water change this week and I plan on doing another...
  11. D

LOTS of Brown Algae!

Your post was a little confusing and you sounded a little confused. I still don't understand what you were trying to ask...but hopefully you got it figured out!
  12. D

LOTS of Brown Algae!

Your LFS could possibly offer RO water. Mix up a bucket of saltwater with a powerhead, match the temperature, give it a good amount of time to mix. Using your hydrometer (please have it calibrated by someone with a refractometer) or your refractometer, make sure the SG in your bucket matches...
  13. D

black occ. clown

I don't know what his affliction may be, but he is gilling...bad. I would say it may be the end of the road for him....Goodluck.
  14. D

Is this even plausible?

I thought I read on the website that they are?
  15. D

New Corals!

Regular water changes should be plenty for these corals.
  16. D

my slowly developing planted tank.

Cool tank! How do you intend on doing a fishless cycle? I wish I had the space to setup a nice planted tank again.
  17. D

New SW setup, newbie too

I'll get some photos after the Carnations adjust. The brain swelled right up after a couple hours, 2 of the red carnations opened right up within 20 minutes, the others stayed tight and were finally relaxing this morning.
  18. D

Nitrate Media

Greg, I'm pretty sure my LFS uses stuff from Carib-Sea, LSM & ARM? I don't know enough about it to offer any advice, but I was there for the initial Nitrate test the day the system was hooked up and in less than a month they have 0 nitrates. I know they built their denitrators for under $75 too.
  19. D

Taking a dive into saltwater

Hit it with a hammer and you'll find out real quick if it's tempered or not. ;) I know with car windshields, you can see a pattern in the glass if you look at it from the right angle with good lighting.
  20. D

10 Gallon Mixed Reef

Cool tank, good to see you stuck with it even after a mini-disaster. Did I read your thread right and see that you have a #3 powerhead in there? LOL Holy flow batman! I had a #3 in my 36g corner tank and it was like watching a toilet bowl flush. Some coral didn't mind it, but it looked like it...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store