Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. H

Mini-puffers! Help!

Hi Zebs, you might want to check out at www.dwarfpuffers.com. Very informative site on dwarf puffers.
  2. H

Please check my dosing calculations

Thanks Timmain. I had forgotten about that sticky (read it some time ago) and I should review it. I would still like to know though whether the way I am estimating the ppm is correct, because I can then use the same approach to figure out other ferts. So if you or others could check my math...
  3. H

Please check my dosing calculations

I'm dosing NoSalt for K. It comes in a 311 g bottle and it says a 1.3 g contains 650 mg K, which would be 50% K (650/1300 mg). So adding 1 g of NoSalt to 10 gal (37.9 L) would yield 16.06 ppm (1000 mg x 50% / 37.9 L). Is this correct? Thanks in advance for your replies.
  4. H

Does dosing traces increase KH?

KH is back to 6 after water change. There's only a small bag of crushed corals in the filter and it was well rinsed before adding. The bag is still in good shape. I'll be monitoring closely. Thanks.
  5. H

Thanks Happychem for the clarification. So KH measures only carbonate hardness (now I remember reading it, but just didn't register) and won't be affected by Ca even if you're adding CaCO3. I was suspicious of traces increasing KH given the small amount I have been adding, but thought I'd check...
  6. H

Power Compacts and Cover Glass

In addition to the above, another consideration to having a cover is whether you plan to add fish that jumps. I'm assuming you don't have any jumpers now since you said you are currently not using a cover.
  7. H

Hi All, Due to what I thought were signs of calcium deficiency (distorted and curled leaves) I have added crushed corals to my filter and KH has risen gradually from ~4-5 to 7 over about a one-month period (no traces were added during this time). Last week, I resumed adding Flourish 0.25...
  8. H

How to avoid being messy in water testing?

Thanks for all your responses. I've wondered about the necessity of mixing one agent in the tube before adding the next. If it's enough to just mix them well after adding all the agents, there's no need to cap, shake, and uncap the test tube after each agent. For me, it's uncapping the tube...
  9. H

How to avoid being messy in water testing?

I test water parameters several times a week on my planted tanks using kits by Hagen and AP and I've also used Tetra's test kits. Do the poor seals provided by the caps on the test tubes annoy anyone? When you have to cap the tube and shake each agent before adding the next, it's also...
  10. H

Does KNO3 expire?

I haven't used saltpetre, so can't help with that. But have you looked into using "stump remover"? I got mine from a local gardening store. It's made by Laters in British Columbia. Here's a link to their website and the material safety data sheet...
  11. H

Type of spray paint for light hood?

I want to spray paint the inside of my 10g light hood white. What is a good type of paint to use? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
  12. H

Adding crushed corals for calcium

Thanks for your responses and I'll definitely keep an eye on the condition of the media bag.
  13. H

Adding crushed corals for calcium

I'm adding crushed corals to boost calcium for a heavily planted 10g. I've read that people place it in their filters, but my AC mini filter basket is already pretty full. Is it ok to put the corals in the other side of the filter that holds the water when it's drawn in? I have the corals in a...
  14. H

Fluval media options and flow regulation Q

Hi Wrench, Regarding your original question about how much you can reduce the flow, the instructions on my 304 say not to run it less than half way, so I suppose half way should be fine. As for carbon, I think just about every poster I have read agree that there's no need for it, unless...
  15. H

lighting question

Coralife also makes a double PC light strip for freshwater, which comes with 2 x 65w 6700K bulbs. You probably got the one for salt water with the actinic bulb. While you can certainly replace the actinic bulb, but if you got yours at your LFS and the freshwater version is available, you may...
  16. H

going after blue-green algae

Additional questions about the blackout procedure Hi Plantbrain and others: I'm also getting ready for a blackout. BGA has recently emerged and slowly spreading so I want to get rid of or at least control it before it takes over my tank. A few questions about the blackout. I have Hagen...
  17. H

aquaclear foam in eclipse?

Ah yes, I see. It's the hood system you're referring to. My mistake. I see the diagrams of the hood systems on the Marineland website and all their filters do all have a similar design.
  18. H

aquaclear foam in eclipse?

I have an Eclipse system 12g, which I believe has a similar design to the Eclipse 3 (I'm assuming you meant 3g, not 37g?). In the filter tray, I'm using two small bags of biomax (I have a Fluval canister that uses biomax and I think the bags are actually AC filter media bags). This is...
  19. H

Canadian online retailers

There's also Pets and Ponds, http://www.petsandponds.com/securestore/, although I have not ordered from them. I've ordered from MOPS and found its service excellent -- responsive to questions and delivery was prompt.
  20. H

Help!!i Destroyed My Cycle!

Overdeveloping your nitrite test by a 2-3 minutes should not give you a zero reading (actually, it's the opposite; overdeveloping gives a stronger reading). I suspect something amiss with your testing procedure the first time. Just to be sure, you may want to repeat your nitrite test to confirm...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store