Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. M-pire

Is this a good set-up?

I had 2 Emperor 400s on my 72 gallon before I went to the reef setup. All I had was the two emperors, a heater, simple strip light, and a little live rock. No skimmer. I kept only fish, snails, and hermit crabs...they all did fine. However, I think it would be better to go with ben72227's idea...
  2. M-pire

Is this a good set-up?

Hey Theevoys, glad to hear you are trying saltwater...there is nothing like it! 55 gallons is a great size tank to start with, it is big enough to help stabalize the water, but small enough to not be too expensive. From what you mentioned, you are doing a FOWLR setup (fish only with live...
  3. M-pire

Wanted: Motorcycle

Sure this is a fish site, but maybe someone here will have a bike to sell. Looking for a cheap starter bike. If anyone has anything they would like to sell , or know of a good place to look, let me know!!! Thanks, Mpire ty@sano-storall.com
  4. M-pire

How much did your tank cost?

Too much...but it is worth it! $200 - 72 gallon bow front w/ glass tops and strip light $100 - Tank stand $150 - 110w Power Compact light $100 - 220w Power Compact light $100 - 30 gallon sump $150 - Pumps and Powerheads $100 - CPR Protein Skimmer...
  5. M-pire

Quick question on Blue Legged hermit crabs?

None of mine have ever eaten any of my star polyps. The blue legs will crawl around in them, but never mess with them.
  6. M-pire

Argh

What about tank temperature? Could your heater have broken and it is too hot/cold? Well, you probablly would have noticed when working on the tank, so nvm. Only thing I could think of that wasn't mentioned.
  7. M-pire

What is this algea? good / bad?

I have been going through some tough times with hair algae too. I have plenty of hermits, snails and emerald crabs, but they couldn't keep it under control completely. It seems like it has to be really really short for them to be able to eat it. So I scrubbed the rocks where the algae was every...
  8. M-pire

Pulsing Xenia

Here is my xenia. I bought it about two months ago and it was smaller than the piece on the right. This is how much it has grown and spread in just two months!!!
  9. M-pire

Stess Coat

I used Stress Coat for a while when I had FOWL. I eventually switched to Prime...I think it worked out to be cheaper per gallon to use Prime. Now I have a RO filter, so no need for the dechlorinator...but the Stress Coat worked fine for my fish!
  10. M-pire

Overflow GPH

Im not telling you anything about your tank...you just said you read everywhere that the overflow will do 600gph, so I'm suggesting the reason as being a single 1" bulkhead...I have no idea how your tank is equiped. Of course a 1" bulkhead can handle much more flow when you put a pump behind...
  11. M-pire

Overflow GPH

Is it a single overflow? A 1" bulkhead is gonna be about 600 or so gph, I think. If you need more flow than that you need to have a double blukhead overflow or multiple overflows. HTH :)
  12. M-pire

DIY sump question

700gph sounds like it will be to high of an output for the overflow box. So, you should probably down grade your pump size since the sump is only 10gallons. To stop the water from siphoning back down the pump line into the sump I drilled a hole in the water return line. I drilled the hole so...
  13. M-pire

Helpful Links

Here is a link Slipknottin posted that I've found helpful. It provides some basic info about alot of the cleanup critters. Cleanup Critters
  14. M-pire

Crab Identification

Oh, and at TBS they called them "hairy crabs" also! :)
  15. M-pire

Crab Identification

I went down to TBS a few weeks ago to buy some live rock, and they had these guys in their own tank. They were selling them as feeders, and told me not to try putting them in my reef tank...
  16. M-pire

4ft set up

Thats what I was gettin' at...40 long, versus a 75gallon...both 4 feet, one with almost twice as much water to dilute the waste. Lions can be pretty messy fish.
  17. M-pire

what are pods?

If you have any live rock wait until the tank lights have been off for an hour or so and there isnt much light in the room then shine a light in the tank. The little bugs running everywhere are pods.
  18. M-pire

4ft set up

What size thank are your reffering to as a 4ft tank? 40long, 55gallon, 75gallon, 72bow, etc? This will make a big difference on which equipment to choose and what fish the tank can handle. As for cleaner fish, for saltwater most people use snails and hermit crabs as the primary cleaners.
  19. M-pire

feeding hermit crabs?

Those two suggestions sound good. I think hermits will eat just about any food. I know if I lower lettuce or and food for my tang too close to the substrate it is covered with hermits in minutes. You might try algae tablets, shrimp pellets, brine shrimp. The ones I've had have never been picky...
  20. M-pire

Tried to glue mushrooms

I know Oriongirl always recommends using superglue to glue corals to rocks. I think I saw her mention that super glue was developed for eye surgery or something, so it is safe for the corals.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store