Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. blackwolfXKAV

Stability gained by small sump?

Thanks folks! Tank is 10 gallons (less w/ gravel and driftwood, so I always try to stock lower, as though the tank were about 10% less). Currently, snails are the only bioload, but a moderate stocking plan may be implemented (think like a few tetras/corys, but I'm not working out those numbers...
  2. blackwolfXKAV

Sugar-grade INERT sand?

No abrasion on the oto? What brand do you use?
  3. blackwolfXKAV

Stability gained by small sump?

Hello all! I'm looking to beef up my system with added stability (more room for human error, as the care of the tank will proably switch hands in a year) and am looking to add a sump/refugium. My question is this: With a lightly stocked tank, is a sump that is 25% of the main tank's volume...
  4. blackwolfXKAV

Sugar-grade INERT sand?

Silver sand, eh? A brief bit of research suggests this could work. http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bog/msg062220173854.html Thanks froglover!
  5. blackwolfXKAV

Amount of Pearling a Good Metric for Light Efficacy?

I suppose one could use pearling as a metric if all other non-light related variables were relatively constant at appropriate levels. Then again, I think there are easier ways to gauge plant health, like growth rate and coloration (the whole deal with reddish colors and iron ions for example)...
  6. blackwolfXKAV

Sugar-grade INERT sand?

Hello again! Planning a revamp to my system in the near future (yay funding). I've got a shotty attempt at an Amazon biotope, and I was looking at simulating a riverbed (or bank) more accurately. Driftwood's been in there for a while, so things are comfortably acidic. I'd love to get some fine...
  7. blackwolfXKAV

Mystic aquarium shots

Great shots man! Did you get a chance to check out the fluorescent coral exhibit?
  8. blackwolfXKAV

Weird thing in aquarium??????

Their population growth/decline depends on "excess" nutrients, so pay close attention to how your feeding rates have changed over the past few days/weeks. They shouldn't be harmful to mature fish under normal circumstances, however, the appearance of a hydra may indicate several other variable...
  9. blackwolfXKAV

Making my own tank decorations?

Foam works just as well and can be made to look like a variety of materials for a lower cost/volume as well. The "saltwater vivarium" build thread uses this method. DIYLR can also work, though you may be happier controlling the texture through carving vs. casting. I would suggest runnig a...
  10. blackwolfXKAV

Oh no....

Cougar urine, an electric fence, and a .22 should take care of your problem. Alternatively, the cover's a good idea. You can't make anything fail safe, but you can make sure it can fail well. 'Coons are annoying little buggers with opposable thumbs. Never underestimate them.
  11. blackwolfXKAV

Flame Scallops

While they aren't beginner organisms, success (and reproduction in one anecdotal case) have been documented in systems that dose phyto regularly in their tanks. If you are interested, there are many commercial algae blends that are quite feasible for dosing, even in larger tanks. Also, though...
  12. blackwolfXKAV

Rate the avatar above you

9.5 Is that pair of angels, or an angel on the right and a juvenille silver dollar on the left?
  13. blackwolfXKAV

new saltwater tank diary

I dunno, pom pom's do occasionally rearrange more than you want them to. Granted it's anecdotal, but still, why chance it?
  14. blackwolfXKAV

Female Blue Tiger

Whoa man! That's one beaut of a FW invert! how big is he?
  15. blackwolfXKAV

THE OFFICIAL "OFFICIAL" THREAD!!!!!

...confirming what've many of us have thought lol.
  16. blackwolfXKAV

Are the plants you're selling/trading ILLEGAL?

Connecticut Regulations (DEP) http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=2696&q=322690&depNav_GID=1620 Also lists Fanwort, (C. caroliniana). They're very clear about not dealing with it at all, and I quote that the "importation, transportation, sale, purchase, possession, cultivation or...
  17. blackwolfXKAV

Shipwreck Tank

Sweet! I was going to suggest an epoxy. I'd love to read about the setup when it begins, and I'm sure it would make an absolute thriller of a DIY thread. I suppose the LED's may be useful for highlighting your species of interest that lurk inside the wreck, no?
  18. blackwolfXKAV

Shipwreck Tank

Based on public displays of a similar theme, I think you may find yourself disappointed at the unnatural look of the LED lighting system. However, this is only a matter of opinion, and LED units are generally small and easily installed/removed. I would suggest installing your "shipwreck" without...
  19. blackwolfXKAV

FS: 40 Gallon Breeder

UPDATE: $85 OBO.
  20. blackwolfXKAV

Yellowtail Coris Wrasse

Hate to burst your bubble, but that's exactly what you don't want for a DSB. I have read that a "yellow coris wrasse" is useful for controlling pyramellid snails of Tridacna clams, but this was anecdotal and I could not find a species name.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store