Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. H

Do I need a new heater?

Ok, thanks.
  2. H

Do I need a new heater?

Hi all! In my 29G hand-me-down tank, the heater was acting erratic so I took it out. My thermometer says that 70-80 degrees is the safe zone, and my house is at all times between about 70-85. Do I even need to replace the heater? I've had it out for a couple weeks and the tank is hovering...
  3. H

Another betta question

Thank you, everyone!
  4. H

Another betta question

Thank you both! Can anyone answer if he needs betta food? If so, can I mix it with the tropical flake in the auto-feeder? Thanks!
  5. H

Another betta question

My mother's renters moved out and left a pitiful looking male betta behind. Can I put it in my 29gal tank with 1 danio, 1 cardinal tetra, and 3 serpae tetras? (Please don't lecture me about schools. I had schools and these are the last remaining fish, and I may not restock once these are...
  6. H

probably a dumb question...

Thanks, guys! I've had this 29g for 2 years or so and have never noticed the poop string phenomenon. So it's nothing to worry about? Even when it's almost as long as the fish?
  7. H

probably a dumb question...

Is the inch-long string trailing behind one of my danios poop? Does it mean I'm overfeeding? Or that he's sick? :o THANKS!
  8. H

What do you use for background?

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. I finally got around to painting mine black and I LOVE IT! The cardinal tetras used to really blend into the blue background I was using. Now they look like neon lights. It's a great effect, and I'm really glad I did it. I pulled the tank away from the...
  9. H

Sorry...another stocking idea thread.

I have zebra danios and serpaes, too. My 10 cardinal tetras are the coolest thing in the tank. Everyone gets along fine. I've never had angels but would read up on them before buying. They seem to have some special needs.
  10. H

i am mad at u guys

That would be me. For $9 more than the AC300, I get replaceable parts... pump motor and such. Which is all the old AC300 needed. The tank doesn't seem like a whirlpool at all. It doesn't seem turbulent. It does seem clean. That book OrionGirl had me read said "feel free to put as much...
  11. H

Aquarium nightmare

My local PetCo is so bad, my first time in there I talked to an employee for only about 1 minute before he said, out of the blue, "You really need to go to Pets Inc. in Tempe. They have much nicer fish than we do." Then he walked away. This PetCo's tanks are disgusting and full of dead fish...
  12. H

Is my "death rate" normal?

This tank has been set up with fish (too many, too big) for a couple years. I have been changing fish, RE-stocking, not initial stocking. Cycling should not be an issue. Ammonia and nitrites are zero. I don't have a nitrates test but the LFS said the rest looked fine. I agree 50% isn't...
  13. H

Can your fish tank make you sick?

There are studies which show much lower rates of both asthma and allergies in populations in rural areas with more contact with animals and with lower sanitation. Asthma rates are exponentially higher in Westernized, developed urban areas, even when the same doctors are doing the diagnosis in...
  14. H

thanks Aquarius and others---here's what I did---suggestions on fish?

Kelley - I'm new to this but I was getting so much bad and conflicting advice from PetSmart, I went to the library and picked up some books and now I mostly go by what those say, and it's a lot easier. A good one that OrionGirl recommended was The Simple Guide to Freshwater Aquariums by David...
  15. H

The book OG suggested said letting the bag float in the tank is not much good. It doesn't even make the water temps converge, most likely, because the bag is probably right under the light. It also says never dump the bagged water into your tank. When I use a bucket for new fish to...
  16. H

Some Pictures of my tank

Pretty! What is your substrate? Sand?
  17. H

Bala shark Questions

From the species profiles on this site: Bala Shark AKA: Silver Shark Balantiocheilos melanopterus (Bleeker, 1851) Temperment Sociability Min. Tank Availability Area Peaceful Groups 70 gallons Common Middle A large and very active fish that needs a roomy tank...
  18. H

It would be a bucket of water, not empty.
  19. H

So would it be better to just bring a bucket of water to the LFS and immediately empty the bag into it, once in the car? I don't think I can cut the bagged time to below 25 minutes otherwise. :confused:
  20. H

This fish store is about a 20 minute drive from my home, so they were probably in the bag 25 minutes. I hope it was the air stone. At least I'll have learned a lesson for that $5 in fish I lost. I had to run another hour-long errand right after dropping the fish at home and thought that being...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store