Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. E

been away

I've been working out of state since mid-march. I've had friends come by every other day to feed the goldies and do a 60% water change once a week. They've been getting romaine, peas and oranges in addition to their (soaked) pellets. I'm home for a couple days and the fish are doing...
  2. E

Elephant Nose fish

I saw an article on them in one of aquarium magazine years ago. One thing mentioned in the article that really attracted me: since elephant nose are mildly electric fish they will spend hours playing with a small balled up piece of aluminum foil. I never got one, not having the correct...
  3. E

getting there

I moved Rouge, my pom pom eggfish out of QT to the big tank yesterday. She's very happy to have company. I have four now in my 75 and it's looking nicely occupied with that number. I'll be away for awhile this spring and don't want a pet sitter to have to deal with one in QT, plus the one...
  4. E

Veiltail chasing Oranda

My ryukin was up to that earlier this week, chasing the ranchu. He didn't keep it up for long and I was able to distract him with a regularly scheduled water change and a leaf of romaine lettuce, which he loves. It was explained to me as courtship behavior... more play than serious in my...
  5. E

what's up with this remora-like behavior?

oh great. I wondered if it might be something like that. At least I seem to be good at name guessing-if Ilya and Jack both turn out to be male. Foo and Rouge are names that could swing either way. No more remora behavior yesterday. Rouge will be out of QT by the end of the week, and...
  6. E

what's up with this remora-like behavior?

I have a great video of this on my camera, but I don't think I can upload a .wmv file here-can I? Yesterday, after feeding, Ilya, my ryukin started following/pushing Foo the ranchu all over the tank. Pushing her from right under the tail, sometimes nearer her 'chin'. Making nipping motions...
  7. E

How to get feeder fish healthy

oh no! garlic breath fish! And keeps vampires away.:evil_lol:
  8. E

help! Foo unwell-leaving town what to do?

I'm back. I didn't see the message about greens before I left... that would have been a good idea. I had the house sitter give her peas and on wednesday he reported a stringy white poo. I was pleased to have any movement. My family took my gleeful announcement of "Foo pooed" when I...
  9. E

help! Foo unwell-leaving town what to do?

Foo Ranchu started having some stability problems saturday evening. A slight wobble from side to side and a slight angle of headstanding. I did a 75% water change and haven't fed. She's no better or worse this morning. Causes? Params were ammonia 0, nitrite0, nitrate 10 before water change...
  10. E

i think im stocked

How nice though to have a pet shop clerk that cares about the fate of the fish. Post pictures please. Ellen
  11. E

Fancies in the pond?

What about a galvanized metal stock tank? Does that make a good above ground pond alternative? If I got one that is 100-150 gallons, I could put all of them out at once. Then the question becomes how to keep my biofilter alive-can you transfer bioballs or Rena sponges to an outside...
  12. E

Fancies in the pond?

Maybe I'll look into setting up a half wine barrel pond. I have one that would probably hold 60 gallons, I'd just need to find a liner and pump, put it in a mostly shady spot. I could put two of my guys out for a month or so, then the others. It would be like summer camp for them.
  13. E

keeping common goldies with fancies

what sort of return do you have on your filter(s)? My oranda loves to surf in the output jet of the XP2. Sometimes he'll play in the spray bar at the other end, but he really likes the jet. He'll spend up to a half hour at a time surfing in the jet and turning somersaults. Foo Ranchu...
  14. E

Keeping Color

great discussion, thank you! So for now I'll continue to hand feed the color food exclusively to the orange fish once or twice a week. Now I wish I wanted a pond. Ellen
  15. E

Keeping Color

so what we need are tanning beds for goldfish :evil_lol: There's a project for the DIY folks. I renamed my new fish. I was going through garden seed catalogs and found a pumpkin variety with the same color: Rouge Vif d'Etampes.... now I just need to learn how to pronounce it.... I expect it...
  16. E

Problem: Can't keep cat away from my tank.

wow, I like to think of my fish are as much as for my cats' enjoyment as for me, but you've got a problem. When my cat Eliot jumped on top of my tank I was able to put a stop by opening the hood, picking her up and sticking her paws in the water. She's never jumped onto the top again. She...
  17. E

Keeping Color

Last time I ordered from Goldfish Connection, I bought a canister of color food, then almost immediately read that color food can cause color change in some fish-chocolate and black particularly. So I haven't been feeding it to my chocolate ranchu, but have been handfeeding a pinch a couple...
  18. E

Ryunkin Question

My petsmart ryukin didn't have a hump when I got it in October at about 2 inches. Ilya has grown like crazy and is now about 3 1/2 inches and is developing a hump. Ellen
  19. E

a water change scare

Yesterday I got a phone call while I was doing a water change. Fortunately it was a quick call and I returned moments later to find Jack all the way up the large portion of the vacuum tube of the Python. Scared me to death. I lifted it out of the water and broke the syphon and he slid out into...
  20. E

6x2x2 tank-bargain!

wow! My goldies are jealous of your goldies!
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store