Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. Rex Grigg

adding co2....manually not via injection system

You are making a common mistake. You look at the CO2 chart and think that if you raise your KH your pH will stay the same and you will have "magic" CO2. The problem with this is that when you add baking soda to raise the KH the pH also goes up. You can't get CO2 into an aquarium unless you...
  2. Rex Grigg

More Ferts? Advice?

When you upgrade the lights you are going to need to add some ferts. Flourish is not really a fertilizer since it has extremely low levels of NPK. Think of it as a vitamin pill and not a meal. Take a few minutes and read the Nutrients section of my Guide.
  3. Rex Grigg

where to get lights for 55 gal?

www.ahsupply.com
  4. Rex Grigg

Sea Chem Plant Products

But Excel is NOT CO2. And even Seachem admits that if CO2 is a 10 that Excel is at most a 7. I have never seen excess CO2 kill plants. And overdosing on Excel is also toxic to many fish and inverts.
  5. Rex Grigg

Sea Chem Plant Products

Macros are NPK Nitrate Phosphate Potassium
  6. Rex Grigg

Sea Chem Plant Products

Which Seachem products are you looking for? If you need Macro ferts then get some bulk dry nutrients. Much cheaper to work with. $20 can get you all the ferts you need for a 55 gallon tank for about 10 months.
  7. Rex Grigg

Centrum A to Z for plants?

Go to www.ahsupply.com and get a 2x55 watt upgrade kit. They will fit in a standard hood. You get AWESOME reflectors. They work much better than the ghetto rig.
  8. Rex Grigg

Centrum A to Z for plants?

It helps to know what your water already contains. Some water supplies in the US may already contain levels of nitrate or phosphate. But when push comes to shove if you use the Estimative Index method of dosing and do a 50% weekly water change it's not going to make any difference at all.
  9. Rex Grigg

CO2 and fish.

pH changes caused by CO2 do not harm fish. And you can drop the pH quite rapidly with no harm to the fish. You can do a 1° drop in an hour and do no harm to the fish. This of course assumes that your tank is not low on O2 to start with.
  10. Rex Grigg

Dry Ferilizer Application

I dose directly into my tanks. You could dose into the return chamber. You really can't measure the trace minerals. You can purchase a phosphate test kit. Same for iron. Or you can do the Estimative Index method of dosing and not have to worry about using test kits.
  11. Rex Grigg

Seachem Flourish

In a medium light tank with or without CO2 Flourish doesn't provide enough macro nutrients for the plants. Bulk dry nutrients are the way to go. Also bulk dry nutrients are MUCH cheaper than buying bottled water.
  12. Rex Grigg

plants for a 75 gal african cichlid tank?

Take a few minutes and read my Guide. They need more than a single bulb on a 75 gallon tank.
  13. Rex Grigg

plants for a 75 gal african cichlid tank?

I will pound this drum one more time. There are over 1900 species of cichlids. Many commonly kept aquarium fish are cichlids. Angel fish, German Rams, Kribs, Discus, Apistos. You can make broad generalizations. Even saying African Cichlids doesn't mean squat. There are many great soft...
  14. Rex Grigg

co2 and PH question

A gross misunderstanding of water chemistry and the effects of CO2. Also a anal fixation on pH. CO2 is going to lower pH. That is one of the effect of CO2. Now the thing that most people have a very hard time understanding even when it is explained to them in very simple terms is that pH...
  15. Rex Grigg

I like plants, but i have a cichlid tank...any suggestions?

You are going to have to be a LOT more specific. There are somewhere between 1300 and 1900 species of cichlids. Angel Fish are cichlids. As are German Rams. Apistos are cichlids. Discus are also.
  16. Rex Grigg

Iron and Magnesium

Take a few minutes and read my Guide. The link is in my Sig. Reading the nutrients section should take the mystery out of it. Don't worry about the lux. It's hard information to track down on the majority of lighting.
  17. Rex Grigg

How fast do Amazon Swords grow?

If they are happy they can grow quite quickly. I once had a Ozelot sword that I got when it was about 2" tall. A year later I had to remove it from my 55 gallon tank as it was taking up about 1/4 of the tank. That was in a high light CO2 injected tank. Substrate is really not important as...
  18. Rex Grigg

Keeping plants in tap water?

Dechlor the water and you will be fine.
  19. Rex Grigg

Iron and Magnesium

Well nitrogen is a macro nutrient. So I really don't understand your statement boostnbuds. And the vast majority of aquatic plants do just fine in any typical pH found in the home aquarium. And there are few if any pH related nutrient problems that I am aware of. And don't start quoting...
  20. Rex Grigg

Iron and Magnesium

Ok. Then you most likely have either insufficient light or your macro nutrients are low. Take a few minutes and read my Guide. www.rexgrigg.com That should help you out either way.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store