Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. RiVerfishgirl

55 gal Native build

You shouldn't need a chiller if you stock accordingly. And perhaps you could put the tank near an air conditioner or vent to keep it from getting too hot? Orangethroated darters are a bit hard to feed. The only thing mine would eat consistently were TINY guppy fry. Though, they do not need...
  2. RiVerfishgirl

Prickly Sculpin Tank

I haven't been on here in quite awhile, and I'm glad to see your sculpin is still doing well! So big, and your tank looks great. :) It's funny how personable these fish get, since in pics they look pretty non-interactive. Ours learned to recognize us and would swim at the front of the tank when...
  3. RiVerfishgirl

Algae ID and treatment?

Looks similar to Graciliara or similar brown algae species which are saltwater (I have some in my saltwater tank). http://www2.bishopmuseum.org/algae/images/Gracilaria_salicornia.jpg Structurally that's kind of an odd type of algae to see in freshwater. Wonder where it came from?
  4. RiVerfishgirl

Reedfish with inflammation

It appears that your fish may have an intestinal impaction. What kind of substrate do you keep them on? Could he have swallowed some gravel? What is their diet? Is he still eating normally? Does he appear to be passing food (bowel movements/pooping)? Often times when fish get an obstruction to...
  5. RiVerfishgirl

I love mystery snails!

My golden mystery snail doesn't bother any of my plants, and my aponogeton and lilies have really thin leaves, they'd be easy to consume. He does however devour thawed frozen broccoli. It's his favorite :D . I'd assume if you don't feed them enough they might resort to eating plants, but...
  6. RiVerfishgirl

Can you use a coffee filter?

You might be able to use a re-usable coffee filter, but the paper ones would fall apart pretty quick. Check and see if your particular powerhead has an available pre-filter attachment. My maxijets had a pre-filter attachment and it worked well and fit right on the powerhead without having to...
  7. RiVerfishgirl

Betta in an aquarium with sand?

I had a very long finned betta in a 20Long with two penguin filters for a couple of years until he died, and the current never bothered him. When I first added him he'd get blown around sometimes when he swam near the outflow because he was weak from sitting in a cup at the store, but he built...
  8. RiVerfishgirl

Umbrella palm information?

Just a new pic. A little more growth from the fully aquatic plants and re-aquascaping. My java moss completely died, I dunno what my deal is with that stuff. Removed some of the smaller mangroves and bamboos and left the bigger ones. It was looking a little too overcrowded.
  9. RiVerfishgirl

Newbie question

Most bristleworms (which is what you have) are pretty benign and aren't a bad addition to your cleaning crew since they're scavengers/detritus eaters. Often when people see them feeding on a dead fish or invert they assume the worms killed them, when most likely it was already dead. You don't...
  10. RiVerfishgirl

Need help...my father bought me "gifts"

To be fair, my husband has the largest vocabulary of anyone I know (and I think mine is pretty darn good), reads CONSTANTLY, and is a history buff, among other things. Just don't ask him to SPELL anything. :p: Callmeconfused, I used to really detest fish like platys (they just seemed...
  11. RiVerfishgirl

What type of Fish/Shark is this?

What you posted is a Pangasius species, mature adult (from reading the page it's supposedly a paroon shark, Pangiasius sanitwongsei. This fish is now not very common in the aquarium trade.). We cannot really know what yours was without having had pictures of the actual fish. The most common one...
  12. RiVerfishgirl

Tank Plans

It depends on how large the surface area on the bottom of the tank is. Larger surface area = more prone to bowing, and the thickness of the acrylic compared to the footprint of the tank also matters. Also, you may never see problems with slight bowing. If the footprint of the tank is small you...
  13. RiVerfishgirl

Saltwater Filter Move to Frehwater Tank

I agree with sploke. I've used a ton of filters with mineral/salt deposits. Scrub off what you can and use them, your fish won't notice any difference whatsoever.
  14. RiVerfishgirl

Goldfish keep dying at my LFS

Yup. The owner needs to ask where the suppliers are getting the fish to know that they're getting different stock. You stated that the water temperature and pH are good, but what about ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Those are much more detrimental to them short term. A reputable store should be...
  15. RiVerfishgirl

does anyone own this type of aquarium seaclear

I haven't owned one but as far as I know they're a pretty good brand for acrylic tanks. What are you wanting to know about them?
  16. RiVerfishgirl

Tank Plans

Good deals. The one thing I'll mention about the acrylic is when you get a stand remember that acrylic tanks must be completely supported on the bottom unlike glass tanks or else they can bow. You can use a normal stand but you'll have to either brace it along the bottom or put a thick piece...
  17. RiVerfishgirl

Do you shop at ALDI

Aldi has great prices and most of their food is very good quality (similar prices to Save - a - lot, if you've ever been there, but MUCH better quality in general). They also have some name brands and premium foods usually at better prices than other grocery stores. Their fresh meats and produce...
  18. RiVerfishgirl

Tank maintanance

It depends on the tank. I've had tanks that I changed 95% of the water on at least weekly due to bioload and the need for very clean water (such as fry grow out tanks). Most of my current tanks I change about 50% every week or two. Most fish should be able to handle 75% water changes...
  19. RiVerfishgirl

Favorite Guns

My anniversary present. :) Kimber pro carry, .45. Not factory finish though (it's tan and black in pic, but my cell phone doesn't show color right), and the rest of the gun has also been worked on. Though, it was a really nice gun even directly from the factory, the satin finish just had...
  20. RiVerfishgirl

These houseplant roots grow in water?

Heck, mine is 2 1/2 feet above the tank without a reflector (also dual 48" t5) and mine are growing consistently. If you have it lower you might get a little faster growth, but really with plants that are not aquatic you don't NEED the light that close. You don't have it close enough to hurt...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store